Is it Normal for a one year old to like hair?

My 19m old finds hair on the floor or were ever and will hold it end to end in both hands. When he does this he will bring it to his mouth and rub it across his mouth. He does this with string to. This is very strange to me but my mom says it's ok just teach him that its not good.

Femommy

Asked by Femommy at 2:02 PM on May. 23, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son used to eat hair...weird kid lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:04 PM on May. 23, 2013

• do you also find he is sensitive to texture - does he like certain fabrics, touch/rub items often, like or dislike food one way but not another (ie, dislikes mashed bananas but will gnaw on a whole banana just fine)?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:45 PM on May. 23, 2013

• I'm wondering if it's a sensory thing with him. Does he like different textures, like carpet versus tile versus a spiky rubber mat fo wiping snow off your boots?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:32 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Never noticed a texture thing before.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 4:52 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Yes, my son did it at that age, and now he likes to run his fingers through my hair, it's all about touching textures and learning the concept, I would say if he's eating hair try to tell him no to that behavior but really not much else you can do. Good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:42 PM on May. 24, 2013