Does starting rice cereal cramps your baby

Is it possible for rice cereal to cramp your baby, I am getting ready to start her on this, she is 3 months 1 week old. Someone told me to start her on this in the early part of the day in case it gives her cramps. Has anyone heard of this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd hold off for at least another month.

Usually its ok to start solid foods between 4-6 months. My DD's handled it fine at 4 months. Some say 6. I guess it depends on your doctor and what you want to do.

My DD's didn't experience any side effects I'm aware of.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• NO baby should be given anything other than milk until 6 months.

Stop giving your baby cereal, you are putting her digestive tract at risk (stomach cramps are just the beinning).

Wait until she is 6 months, and then introduce real food (no cereals, baby food, etc.)

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• she doesnt need baby cereal yet. shes to little her stomach cant digest it yet.
    Anonymous

• I haven't heard of it. In some cases it causes constipation, although the gerber brand actually made my LO poop more often.
    The aap has a little bit of info on introducing solids you might want to read:
    http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

When I started feeding my LO solids I would feed it to her in the evening, around 5 or 6.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 4:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yeah, I have no clue why a baby needs rice cereal at 3 months. Our ped. told us to wait until 6 months.
    Anonymous

• Our pediatrician recommended cereal at 4 months and not before. We did not have a problem with cramping, but it did cause the little boy I babysit to be a bit constipated when he first started. He didn't start until 6 months. He's fine now with it, but it took his system a little while to get used to it.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009