Add healthy herbs to your diet

Anise. Anise seeds taste like black licorice and they have lots of surprising health benefits. Anise seeds can increase milk flow in nursing moms, give your sex drive a little pick me up and  even calm an upset stomach or stop a runny nose! Anise contains calcium and fiber as well as a high amount of iron. Use it in a homemade chai tea or tomato sauce!

Cinnamon. This familiar spice is a great source of fiber, can reduce cholesterol levels and lower blood sugar levels. Sprinkle cinnamon in your curries and stews. You might not think about savory dishes when you think of cinnamon, but it tastes fantastic in almost everything.

Cilantro. I've written about cilantro before. The plant of the coriander seed, cilantro can aid in blood clotting, increase bone strength and it is high in Vitamin K.

Cumin. Cumin has strong germ-fighting properties and can also keep blood sugar levels healthy. Cumin is rich in iron, calcium and magnesium, and may also prevent stomach ulcers.

Basil. Basil aids in relieving respiratory infections and can reduce pain and swelling within the body.

Nutmeg. Containing a good amount of fiber, nutmeg is a very healthy addition to your diet. It is a helpful presence in the body, fighting off bad bacteria, and it has anti- inflammatory properties as well.

Mint. If you suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, add some peppermint oil to your diet for relief.

Fennel. With a flavor similar to anise, fennel aids in gas, bloating and other digestive upset. It can help reduce heartburn, too.

Saffron. If you suffer from PMS symptoms, add some saffron to your soups and stews. This magical (and rather expensive) spice can help ease those symptoms, and it can also help with mild to moderate depression. Rumor has it saffron is also a (wink wink, nudge nudge) aphrodisiac.

Oregano. Synonymous with pasta, oregano is an antibacterial and antifungal herb that can help fight food-borne illness and can assist with antibiotic resistant infections.

Rosemary. Full of antioxidants, rosemary is a great fighter of inflammation. It can also boost your memory, believe it or not.

Thyme. This tasty herb can prevent signs of aging. It can also help boost your overall health, prevent cell damage and it's chock full of antioxidants.

Turmeric. What is curry without turmeric? Not much! But more than a color and flavor enhancer, turmeric is used to treat liver disease, depression and even heartburn!

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 4:22 PM on May. 23, 2013 in Health

• My grandma used to make anise Christmas cookies that were to die for.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:14 PM on May. 23, 2013

• It is so amazing what food can do... but only in its unprocessed form!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:50 PM on May. 23, 2013

• I guess I should get some saffron PDQ!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:23 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Even dried herbs can help.
    Ballad do you have her recipe?
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 5:17 PM on May. 23, 2013

• I love the stuff.
    I have a dealer in wild saffron. You have to use more but it costs way less.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 5:43 PM on May. 23, 2013