Any knows a good insurance that does cover RX for Adhd/add childrens medications?

Anyone knows an insurance that provides just RX coverage, that would cover medication such as adhd/add medications?
we got new insurance, since one we had last year was too expensive and barely covering anything, we literally were paying out of pocket for visits unless we went to a different clinic for our son apt. but we didn't like that clinic since we have had horrible past experience with them.

with new insurance, it suppose have good coverage, we pay the whole year fee. then just came active this month and when our son had to get his refill for his med, it didn't cover it, something to do with the fact they don't cover mental medication or something. we weren't aware of that, which I wish we had known before getting it.

we are now trying to find a RX type of insurance that would cover his adhd medications.
he has been receiving some results, so we don't want to stop the medication. we have already tried other alternatives before we decided to put him on medications, and didn't succeed, so we went with meds and more vitamins and started to finally see some improvement.

I am wondering thou, if anyone knows a good insurance that actually covers medications for adhd. RX insurance preferable, if not insurance in general.
we haven't had much luck finding one. so am wondering if anyone knows a good one.
thank you.
(sorry - didn't know in which section i could put this question on)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on May. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• I've had cigna or blue cross blue shield for years and have never had a problem with RX meds even my sons ADHD meds. I pay 55.00 for each refill, the medication is 260.00 without insurance. Also depending on what med your son is on, you might can get a generic for much cheaper. When my son was on Ritalin, we paid 8.00 without insurance for generic..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:10 PM on May. 23, 2013

• If you can't find insurance, check who the manufacturer is and go on their website. When my sons were on ADHD meds, their med (Focalin XR) manufacturer had a program that if the med wasn't covered by insurance, they would send you a card so you could get a discount. I don't remember how much it was, but it was considerably cheaper than paying for the meds out of pocket. The site will give you all the requirements, tell you what you need to prove you can't cover it in cash or with insurance, and how to apply.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:14 PM on May. 23, 2013

• http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-medical-treatment Ads on web md
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 7:13 PM on May. 23, 2013

• We're with Aetna and they apply everything to our deductible, which is insanely high. We spend more than $500 a month on prescriptions right now.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:21 PM on May. 23, 2013

• generic, walmart, you can buy a seperate script plan, but most likely that would be more than the generic would cost.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:22 PM on May. 23, 2013

• A lot of ADHD medicines don't have a generic until the patent expires. For Vyvanse, that will be 2023. For Strattera, it will be 2017. The ones that do have a generic are still insane. Generic Concerta is about $180+ a month.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:34 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Kiser Permanente pays for my stepson's ADHD meds after the deductible is met.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:27 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Thanks so much for the tips & advice. Will definitely be looking into it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 AM on May. 24, 2013