Gonna start potty training. Advice please!

This is our first child so we've never had the experience of potty training. Can I get a run down? How to start? What to expect? What I need to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on May. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• don't use pull ups...expect a couple of accidents and I know this will probably be looked at as bad parenting, but we used candy- both kids were done in about 2 weeks though so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:50 PM on May. 23, 2013

• How old is the child? My best advice would be that if he or she is ready, training should happen smoothly and easily. If it doesn't, the kid isn't ready; stop and try again in a few months. Oh, and maybe I'm a bad parent, too, but I used M&M's, and once my daughter was actually ready, it only took ten days and half a bag of pull-ups. I think a lot of people push really early potty training as a sort of status symbol of good parenting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:02 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Just do it. No more diapers, no pull ups. I also used m&ms (3 for pee, 5 for bms), made it very easy because my kids wanted to go potty to get the candy!

Answer by missanc at 6:25 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Don't push it, your child is in Freud's "Anal Stage" of development, and pushing potty training at this age can cause life long issues...know how we call people who are frigid "anal", its because in theory something traumatic happened to them at this stage. So, do not push it, it will just click when they are ready. Do not punish for accidents, just reassure them that it was an accident and to go to the potty next time.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 10:58 AM on May. 29, 2013