Here's one that just leaves me shaking my head ...

May 23, 2013 9:27 PM

Scared Publix customer sprays seeing-eye dog with bleach
Sunrise resident cited for animal cruelty

May 20, 2013

By Tonya Alanez, Sun Sentinel
A seeing-eye dog had bleach squirted in its eyes at a Publix grocery store when a 67-year-old woman intentionally sprayed the animal in an unprovoked attack, a police report says.
The 5-year-old yellow Labrador retriever appeared uninjured, the report said, but Patricia Lawler, of Sunrise, was cited for animal cruelty and given a notice to appear after the 4:15 p.m. Saturday incident at the store at 10155 W. Oakland Park Blvd.

Lawler told police she "thought it was a vicious animal" and feared it would be a danger to other customers, so she grabbed a spray bottle of Clorox cleaner off a shelf and sprayed the animal in the eyes and back.
"I realize now it was a mistake," Lawler said when reached by telephone Monday. "I have a fear of dogs. It was just a big dog with a big head. I was just afraid."
Lawler said she takes medication for schizoaffective disorder, and paranoia is one the symptoms associated with her mental illness.
The dog's owner, Ronda Carin Shore, 45, also of Sunrise, told police she is blind and keeps the canine with her at all times. It was wearing a service-dog vest, an assist handle and a placard, the report said.
Shore declined to comment Monday.
Although the dog wasn't exhibiting aggressive behavior, Lawler said she got scared when she saw it and asked Shore to leave the store with the dog. When that didn't produce results, she said she resorted to the spray bleach to get rid of the animal.
"I was afraid the dog would go wild, or some small child would get bitten, or somebody would get hurt," Lawler said. "I guess I overreacted. But I still feel like a dog doesn't belong in a place like a grocery store."
If convicted of the first-degree misdemeanor, Lawler faces up to a year in jail and/or a $5,000 fine.

/articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-05-20/news/fl-service-dog-cruelty-20130520_1_animal-cruelty-big-dog-bleach> http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-05-20/news/fl-service-dog-cruelty-20130520_1_animal-cruelty-big-dog-bleach

So what am I missing? As someone who has traveled with service dogs for more than twenty years, what way could the dots be connected to have this in any way make sense?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:05 AM on May. 24, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm really not understanding her thinking. I've only ever seen service dogs that were extremely gentle and loving. Truthfully, it's amazing to watch them because you can tell how much they love their owners. This was such an awful thing to do that I think she may have just been reacting and harming this poor dog out of fear, but I still say she's a bit crazy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:10 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Bitch is nuts.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:08 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Someone needs to spray bleach in HER eyes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:20 AM on May. 24, 2013

• My daughter who has epilepsy has a service dog. We lived in an apartment complex where there is a height restriction on animals. While I was at work one day and my aide was there with my daughter, the apartment manager came by and measured the dog. She said that he was 3 inches too tall and that I had to either get rid of the animal or move out of the apartment. I went to her and showed her the papers on him, a note from my daughters pediatrician and her neurologist and the manager said that she has never heard of a service animal for an epileptic. She then demanded to have the phone number for where I had gotten the dog and the people who trained it as well as my daughters case manager. Because we have had issues before such as her not wanting the handicapped bus to come into the complex or my daughters aide to care for her at my apartment, I choose to leave and found a new place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on May. 24, 2013

• ran out of space. My point being that people are stupid and I think a lot of people just have problems with those who are disabled and will go out of their way to make things hard for them. Maybe people like my apt manager thought that disabled people have too many rights or that as she told me once, I was using my daughters illness to be lazy. Idk but I try to ignore people like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 24, 2013

• OMG anon. I'm just glad you were able to find a new place. People like that manager shouldn't be allowed to exist.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:19 AM on May. 24, 2013

• I Think the only animals MORE trained than service dogs are police dogs. I've seen some of the training, and talked with families that TRAIN service dogs. What an amazing effort of time and patience. They start when the dogs are still half-grown puppies.

Too bad there's no real fix for stupid.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:48 AM on May. 24, 2013

• The answer is right there in the article:

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:08 AM on May. 24, 2013

• The woman needs some serious help. I won't deny that I am afraid of big dogs, but I don't panic and automatically start trying to hurt them. My reaction tends to be more along the lines of backing away slowly or standing absolutely still until I know what it's going to do. Attacking with bleach is something I would only do if it was actually being aggressive. I read no indication of that at all, so she way overreacted.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:10 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Obvious mental health issues
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 8:36 AM on May. 24, 2013