Teen girl expelled for same sex relationship.

SEBASTIAN, FL - Kelley Hunt Smith said it's been a nightmare since her daughter, 18-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt, was arrested on a charge of "lewd and lascivious battery of a child 12 to 16.
The state attorney's office has offered Kaitlyn a plea deal, which would include two years of house arrest.

Smith doesn't feel Kaitlyn deserves the penalty if they don't accept, and they lose her case. She denies her daughter's actions were criminal.

"She would have a lifetime sexual offender on her record," said Smith. "She would not be able to, we think we all know what that means. It's a death sentence for her, her life would be over at 18."

"Kaitlyn would not hurt a fly," said Smith. "She didn't know what she was doing was quote, unquote 'wrong' or illegal. There was no intent to hurt anybody or commit a crime. I know that's not an excuse for the letter of the law, but it's reality."

Now I cannot find the original article I read but it did state the parents were upset that their daughter was in a same sex relationship. (I will try to find it)

What are your thoughts on this? Are the parents doing the right thing? Do you disagree
Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/kaitlyn-hunt-teen-arrested-expelled-for-alleged-same-sex-relationship#ixzz2UD4T6DMu

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 7:51 AM on May. 24, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Just one more question do you feel this would be as big of an issue if it were a boy and girl relationship?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 7:53 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Here is the link I was looking for
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-cheerleader-denies-felony-charge-lesbian-relationship/t/story?id=19225512&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fl.php%3Fu%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fabcnews.go.com%252FUS%252Fflorida-cheerleader-denies-felony-charge-lesbian-relationship%252Fstory%253Fid%253D19225512%26h%3D3AQFSXo7DAQFs_JgZkQjmbGtcF26ZQoi7dTYzmIJgBQLR5g%26enc%3DAZPBarwgsib36DOwRVIz7pApQbGNMctpQMBx6BaUg2tcyfjXp6flyrXyPne8N736VJcY9k8W-oSZ7UsVdkSiAWMC%26s%3D1
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 7:59 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Where does it say she was expelled for being a lesbian? All it says is she was 18 and the other one was a minor. That's also illegal in opposite sex relationships...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 24, 2013

Depends on the parents. Some would fly off the handle no matter who it was. It is illegal and it sucks that this girl might have that as a label the rest of her life, but a lot of guys have that same problem. If you are 18, you just don't date anyone younger than you. Stupid as it might be, in most states it will get you in tons of trouble.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:35 AM on May. 24, 2013

• And while I agree sex offender charges are often ridiculous and even in this case I don't think she should have the book thrown at her, but what do her parents mean she didn't know what she was doing? She didn't know that she was legally an adult and didn't know she was having sex?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Well had it been a boy sleeping with a 14 year old everyone would be screaming throw the books at him. So IMO she deserves the charges, why should she be any different then a man.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:59 AM on May. 24, 2013

• she was expelled or being 18 and in a relationship with a minor. I think its BS if they were in a relationship BEFORE she was 18. Her Girlfriend is like 15-16 years of age. That's at least the story I read, maybe more info has came to light since it was first reported.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:22 AM on May. 24, 2013

• we hear all the time about guys being listed as sex offenders for dating a younger girl. so i dont really see this as discrimination and the article i read didnt say anything about her being expelled from school.

im all for gay rights, but boys get in trouble for this sorta thing all the time. there needs to be a change in how the law is worded to protect established couples from their parents dislike.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:12 AM on May. 24, 2013

• They were both underage when the relationship started. I think this whole this is fucking stupid. The younger girl's parents are being assholes and it would serve them right if their daughter said SEE YA and started the emancipation process.

I've been the younger girl and had my parents make threats about charging him with rape. It's why I got married and had a kid at 15.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:25 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Yes it would be the same if it were a boy. According to the sheriff the victim was 14 years old and the perpetrator was 18 years old. An 18 year old engaging in sexual activity with a 14 year old is child molestation IMO and in the opinion of the state where they live. We should all talk to our kids about the age of consent in our state.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:20 AM on May. 24, 2013