Do your kids wear more of hand me downs or new things?

Just curious. Just had a neighbor bring over a garbage bag full of clothes for the kids and I am folding it all now. Not going to lie, my kids wear mostly second hand stuff, because they grow so quickly and things are so expensive these days. The only time we buy things new is if we can't find second hand things that are in really good condition that fit. Plus, everything we buy new for DD ends up stained the first time she wears it to daycare, so might as well send her things I only paid a dollar for, or things I didn't send money on at all.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:52 AM on May. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• Mostly second hand with some new stuff thrown in there. Can't really afford to buy them a TON of new stuff so we feel very blessed to get as much hand me down stuff as we do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:58 AM on May. 24, 2013

• I hated the "hand me downs" that we would have gotten because they were HIDEOUS. I'm talking shit the 60s and 70s rejected. There was no way in hell I was putting those on my child.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:32 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Wish we had relatives/friends who could have passed things down. We passed many things down when our kids were done with them and the recipients were very pleased. I periodically went to thrift stores to look for bargains.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:58 AM on May. 24, 2013

• My DD has two girl cousins, and they're 1/12 and 2 years older than her. I've been very spoiled by the quantity of hand-me-downs we get, and they make up at least 90% of her wardrobe.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:00 AM on May. 24, 2013

• mostly hand me downs. when my oldest was 4 (6 now), a lady my grandma knew gave me a ton of her then 6 year old's clothing. since my oldest is so tiny, the clothes have managed to stretch a span of 2 years and there are still items in there that wont fit for another year or two. and everything she outgrows goes right down to my other 2 daughters, the benefits of having three girls. but every now and then i do have an urge to go on a shopping spree and get them new stuff.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:02 AM on May. 24, 2013

• We buy them new things a couple times a year, but I guess I am lucky enough to find people selling cute clothes that would fit them. Also that I have a lot of friends that give me cute boy clothes because their sons are all between 6 months-12 months older than mine. Plus it helps that he is almost 18 months and still in 12 months clothes (most of which are too big still). DD is harder to find things for because she has a weird body. I don't think much of these clothes will fit her, even though they say they are 3T, the shirts are super short and she has a really long mid section. I will end up passing it on to people I work with that have younger daughters than me.
    Just glad I am not the only one that has mostly second hand things in their kids' closets.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:07 AM on May. 24, 2013

• There is nothing wrong with Hand me downs- if they are clean and in decent shape!

my kids wore a LOT of thrift store clothes! *and they never had a problem with it. I did buy jeans new for my son though and new shoes and random things here and there
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:32 AM on May. 24, 2013

• He wears a mix of both. My parents and my sister tend to buy him new things when they feel like it. I also have a friend who passes stuff down to me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:32 AM on May. 24, 2013

• New, but because not only do we not have anybody to hand us down anything, but also because he has a Grandmother that loves to buy him outfits whenever she goes shopping. Plus we use the money he gets from Christmas and birthdays to buy his clothes and then I just pick up stuff here and there when I see it. His clothes are relatively inexpensive now but we'll she what happens in a few years lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:41 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Mostly new. For my older ones, they want clothes that are somewhat "in" and since I remember being that age I don't begrudge them that. My parents and in laws buy tons of clothes for my 2 and 4 yo so even though I buy very little, it's all new. They do get some hand me downs from cousins/friends occasionally but not often.

Answer by missanc at 8:42 AM on May. 24, 2013