My sisters and I have decided to live all in one house with our children 18 mths, 1 yr, 10 mths, and soon to be new born. What is the best way to avoid some of their bad habits from rubbing off on each other?

The 18 mth old screams this high pitch dying owl noise whenever my husband or me come near him and whenever he doesn't get what he wants, well now my 10 mth old is screaming like that with him and it just goes right through every nerve I have, I don't understand why he does this and why my sister can't control him. The 1 yr old is good, she is just real needy and whiny at times, my son hasn't copied anything off her except positive things like clapping and he tries to walk more when he sees her walk. I just want this to work out, but I think I am more strict with a lot of things than my sisters are, part of me doesn't want to end up the sole dealer of punishment and have to be the "jerk Mom". Any help would be useful, I am really stressed out I am due August 1st and am going crazy.

Asked by gustafae at 8:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• If you want my advice I'd recommend that you not move in with them if at all possible.

Answer by Eliza34 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am thinking your husband will be away? You and your sisters need to meet alone together and be very honest about what the ground rules need to be. It tough for three women to get on the same page but you sound like you have a good sense of discipline and could be the "well loved Mom" not the "jerk Mom" if you gently point out you will all need to a plan so your children behave and you will know how to deal with problems ahead of time. I hope you can say what your deal breakers are, "I want our children to know how to commuincate instead of each of us interpreting cries, screams, whining etc." Talk about what you want instead of what you don't want. Best of luck. I hopw it brings you all closer.

Answer by manna1qd at 8:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree you need to sit down and decide what the ground rules for behavior are going to be and you can't do the I disipline my kid you do yours. when you live in the same house you all need to parent all the children and you need to all be on the same page.

Answer by Lyndall at 10:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008