Abusive Husband

My husband of 3 years hit me the other night we got into a small argument so he slapped me in the face. I packed up our daughter and moved out. I also went down and filed divorce papers. I will not sit around and tolerate abuse especially around our daughter it is not good. Did I do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 24, 2013 in Relationships

• you did a very smart thing! Do not give him any 2nd chances. You're protecting yourself and your child. Your DD does not need to see that and think it's okay for men to slap women around.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:34 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Yes, I think you did
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:43 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Has he ever hit you or shown any other form of abuse towards you and your daughter?
    If not than I would have waited until everything calmed down, talked everything out, worked on both of our anger issues and after all of that see if the marriage could continue.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:48 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Only you know what he's like. If he is abusive, yes you did the right thing. Certainly hitting you is not okay, but your post makes it sound as though after three years of marriage this was out of character.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:54 AM on May. 24, 2013

• RyansMom- It is the first time he has hit me but I believe once is enough

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 AM on May. 24, 2013

• That is for you to decide. I feel you did the right thing, but my opinion doesn't count. Good luck.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:06 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Chances are he did it once, he will do it again. I think you did the right thing for your daughter and you. Utimately though only you get to decide if you want him to have another chance, good for you to recognize right away it's not a healthy thing.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:20 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Good for you. Most women don't do the couragous thing and end the relationship. I'm so proud of you. Once is enough and everyone who says to work it out are just cowards who probably tell themselves that he'll never do it again when they get hit. I'm glad you got your daughter and yourself out of that enviorment. Good luck to you and god bless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 24, 2013

• What matters most is that you feel you did the right thing.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:27 AM on May. 24, 2013

• If you believe once is enough then stick to it.
    If you think it was a slap and his anger boiled over the top and that counseling would help, then I would stay.
    Anyone can slip once a second time in my book is the breaker. It also depends on the intensity etc. There really is no one but you that can judge the situation.

I will be honest and say they were a few times in my marriage theDH or I verbally pushed so far, it is surprising that someone didn't get slapped or shoved.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:39 AM on May. 24, 2013