Natural/Safe Poison Oak Killer

I have heard of many different things that can be used such as vinegar and bleach but both tend to have nasty side effects, such as killing everying. 

What, if anything, have you used to get rid of poison oak (we have a bumper crop this year) without killing the trees, bushes and normal grass around it?

I have a huge project planned for this summer ... widening my backyard that the bamboo keeps encroaching on ... and there is A LOT of poison oak. I can't be around it and the guy that does our yard is also highly allergic. So is my mom who will probably be helping. 

At this point, I will even take suggestions on what chemicals you have used. I prefer natural but I just want to get rid of the crap. 

Thanks in advance!!! 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 10:53 AM on May. 24, 2013 in Home & Garden

• You can try cutting the stalk and putting a stiff mixture of salt water in the cut stem. If it is an are you do not care about any plant ever growing there again you can spray the whole plant with salt water and repeat after ever rain.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:16 AM on May. 24, 2013

• Bamboo is very invasive as you already know. The roots travel underground. So either you get rid of it all or it will always travel. It has to be dug up with the roots to eliminate it altogether. You cannot kill it entirely from above the ground. We have tons of poison oak & ivy & I use "Round Up" Concentrate. I use it in a large pump sprayer, It works very well. As long as you do it when you know it will not rain for a few days then it will not wash into the grass. It is toxic so wear long pants & gloves & don't do it on a windy day. I've tried bleach but it does not work as well.

This is the pump sprayer I use for the Round Up Consentrate:

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:07 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Whatever you do, DON'T burn it! The smoke will cause poison oak reaction in your lungs!
    I say find a company that will do a removal then round-up consistently until it's gone.
    The bamboo will be your next extra large challenge. That stuff never goes away!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:50 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Definitely can't burn it ... we are inside the city limits and they don't allow it and it's in places that would destroy trees if burned.

Will definitely give the Round Up a go ... any particular one or just regular Round Up?

Dard ... is that suggestion for the bamboo?? It's at a point to where I can cut the stalks and do that. I definitely need to get something down into the root system as ILovePaulie mentioned.

Thanks ladies ...
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 1:28 PM on May. 24, 2013