Do you have health insurance? Or can you not afford it?

I have been struggling with this for awhile now. Me and my husband do not have health insurance, we simply can not afford it. We make to much money for state medical but not enough to buy our own. The company he works for offered it for a very brief period but then they cancelled it because it was to costly.

I had to go to the Ob/gyn today to have my mirena removed. I had it an extra year and then I finally made an appointment to have it out.The office manager was great and we worked out a payment plan. When I saw the doctor today I almost felt like I was being lectured and kind of talked down to. I got the whole speech about lack of health insurance is the number one reason for bankruptcy etc.. He felt that if he removed it that I would become pregnant and then he said then you would have health insurance...the state would pay then. I said no I don't want any more babies. I don't know if he was insinuating that thats what I was going to do? This man does not know my life story and what me and my family have been through the past 8 or so years, nor do I feel like I should have to explain myself. I'm probably over reacting a bit but he kind of made me feel like crap. But then on the other hand at the end he said some very nice things. He wished money wasn't a factor in how woman take care of themselves without having to spend their life savings. He wanted me to continue my care there and if there was anything he could do to give a call etc... I don't think he was trying to be mean but I still feel bad.

What are we to do?

emeraldeyes98

Asked by emeraldeyes98 at 12:37 PM on May. 24, 2013 in Health

• I would file a complaint about him for one.

There is only so much people can do. I have health insurance and no I can not afford it I make it work because I have 2 kids. Its a struggle but it's important.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:40 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I thought with Obamacare everyone had to have insurance or is that not until next year?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:43 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I have health insurance through my employer but would not be able to afford it otherwise. I honestly don't know what I'd do in your position. I know Obama's supposed rule about requiring everyone to have insurance isn't in effect yet, but I believe in addition to that there is supposed to be a law about all employers offering it. Or something like that. I honestly don't know too much.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:50 PM on May. 24, 2013

• @Dardenella I believe that is to start next year. In any case if health care does not become more affordable people still won't be able to buy it.
    emeraldeyes98

Comment by emeraldeyes98 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on May. 24, 2013

• It's next year and it's not free. It's "more affordable' which I can see this happening. premiums are affordable but deductibles will sky rocket.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:56 PM on May. 24, 2013

• We pay over $1300+ a month for medial coverage out of pocket. It is very hard but if one of us gets sick then yes the Hospital/Doctor etc. can put a lien on your home & force you into bankruptcy in the event of massive medical bills associated with illness. If you can't then you can't. That is what is so sad that the hard working middle class suffers while illegal immigrants get free medical treatment with no worries. I think you also misunderstood what your Dr. said about coverage by the State if you get pregnant. They may cover the baby but NOT you if you have assets. So you could be looking at a minimum bill of $8,000 for a Hospital delivery.
    Anonymous

• I'm lucky enough to have health insurance through the government, and my stepson has it through his mom's employer. But my boyfriend spends a lot of money to pay for his own insurance, and I also buy privately for our daughter. It's a struggle, and she doesn't have hospitalization insurance because I can't afford the monthly premiums. So I pay for the basic policy and hope for the best.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:05 PM on May. 24, 2013

• We have insurance through my DH's employer. If my DH wasn't a teacher, we probably wouldn't be able to afford it. Where I grew up, most farmers are bus drivers for the benefits. I wish I had advice for you.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:05 PM on May. 24, 2013

• We are self employed, so our options are terrible. We have insurance through Aetna, and the premiums and deductibles are outrageous, but they were the only company who would cover us. I can't wait until January 1 when companies can no longer deny us. I'm hoping to get a different plan with some prescription coverage.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:19 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Were you getting another form of birth control while you were there? If you weren't, maybe that's what he was worried about. I'm not saying he was right for what he said, but maybe he was concerned that you were getting this out and didn't seem to have a plan to continue to prevent pregnancy. He certainly could handled it better, but I know my doctor would have the same concern (if I hadn't had my tubes tied) and want to know how I planned to prevent pregnancy in the future.

As far as insurance, I do have it right now, but there've been several times I've had to go without and just hope like hell I didn't end up sick or injured. It does suck to be in that position, I know. I wish I could give you some advice that would be helpful to you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:21 PM on May. 24, 2013