If your kid got a bruise, or a splinter, or a bleeding gash...

would you take a picture of it and post it on facebook? i never understand why some parents do this. i can understand photographing the injuries for personal documentation but not broadcasting it all over the internet. same thing when your child is laid up in the ER strapped to a nebulizer or prepped for surgery. can anyone help me understand?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:46 PM on May. 24, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Only after the fact, like during that 6 hr wait for a doctor to sign a piece of paper so you can go home. We have a cute pic of DS doped out of his mind in a hospital gown reading his Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. Took it about 3 hours into the trip.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:18 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Taking photos are the last thing on my mind when my child is hurt unless it is after the fact. Like what Kristi said to update date someone on her/his condition.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:56 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Yeah the posting while the kid is still crying instead of tending the kid is strange to me too
    Makes me think of AFHV where the kid is run over ny the toy cars etc and the parent keeps filming
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:07 PM on May. 24, 2013

• its when the child is still hurt and/or crying and the parent feels the need to grab their phone and take pics that bothers me

Yeah I don't get that either. My first reaction is "SHIT, get to the doc" The last "prepped for surgery" photo was my own that I took myself right before getting a drill and fill at the dentist. (But again that's different since I wasn't in pain and I took the photo myself)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:29 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Sometimes its to keep distant relatives up to date
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:48 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Well I took of my kid AFTER her bleeding gash was all stitched up and posted. Mostly because it happened at someone else's house and I knew they were concerned. So it was more to SHOW that it wasn't as bad as it seemed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:52 PM on May. 24, 2013

• If my child is seriously hurt, my FIRST reaction is to take care of the injury as best I can. Then, when they're calm again MAYBE take a picture/post it.

Example: My child is playing at a playground that has wood chips for "padding". They fall down and get a 2-inch splinter in their hand. They start crying. I will comfort them and calm them down, then I will try to remove the splinter. Once my child is all better, then I MIGHT take a pic of the splinter itself and post that I just pulled it out of my child. I'm NOT going to take a picture if it IN my child and my child screaming bloody murder because they're hurt.

I'm with you. Doing that kind of thing just does NOT compute.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:06 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Yeah, but I'm an oversharer. lol
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:27 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I should add I also don't understand taking pics in the middle of a crisis, while the child is actively bleeding or crying. After the fact or in the hospital, I understand.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:17 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I'd update but, probably wouldn't post pics.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:50 PM on May. 24, 2013