Using tub margarine in place for recipes that call for butter

when baking... does it make a huge difference? i know that salt content has to be taken into consideration so if you use margarine you'd probably have to omit any salt it calls for. but i only have one unsalted butter stick and i want to make cookies that call for 2 sticks of butter.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:07 PM on May. 24, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I cheat and do that sometimes. It might change the consistency a little (fluffy vs light, moist vs drier, etc), but it's never ruined a recipe for me.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:11 PM on May. 24, 2013

• When I used tub margarine, I used it in baking and never really noticed a difference in the texture or flavor. There might have been a difference, but it was too minor to notice.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:15 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I used to use only margarine in my baking. I never played with the ingredients. It was always fine.

Never completely omit salt, it will affect the rising. DS1 found that one out the hard way.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:16 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I do it all the time. If there's a difference, it hasn't been noticeable to me or anybody who has eaten my baking.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:22 PM on May. 24, 2013

• It should be okay.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:09 PM on May. 24, 2013

• The fat content will be off
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:09 PM on May. 24, 2013

• thanks ladies!! so excited lol ive been wanting to make double chocolate chip cookies for a while now.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Many margarines from a tub are more moisture than fat, so that your icing consistency may not be right and may even seperate. If substituting margarine, sticks would probably work better.

But then again, after reading the replies it may just depend on the brand.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:24 PM on May. 24, 2013