Do you have a home emergency plan?

For when a natural disaster, war, or other mass violence strikes close to home?

Trying to think of some good ideas along the lines of:

-Meeting location for family members outside of the immediate area
-Contact tree, backup communication devices and strategies
-Prepacked "to-go" back with essential supplies
-Plan for transporting pets with a travel bag of supplies/medications

Thanks!

hellokittykat

Asked by hellokittykat at 7:42 PM on May. 24, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I think about this often & we should really make a plan. It's really a good idea for everyone. Even in the case of a house fire. Everyone (who is able) should know where to meet outside so everyone knows who is OK. I think it's important to have cars gassed up at all times, water or jugs to put water in. Coolers to keep ice & perishables for a short time. Meeting place, land line phone (not with service provided by a cable company), non perishable food, first aid supplies including antibiotics if you have any. Matches, flashlights & batteries etc. Just to name a few.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:01 PM on May. 24, 2013

• No preperation here. We believe. If it is our time to go. It is time then. Hard to plan for death.
    If we live thew it. We will wing it. Like we always do.

Answer by louise2 at 7:45 PM on May. 24, 2013

• You know what you do? You bend over and put your head between your knees...and kiss your ass goodbye. lol. An old boyfriend told me that once and that's what your question reminded me of. We don't have much of a plan. One plan is to sell this mobile home in the next few years and buy a home with a basement. That's our only plan for now!! I hope when\if the end comes we all go quick and together where we won't have to worry about how we will make it.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:02 PM on May. 24, 2013

• The most important "things" are medications.
    You can survive a long time if you have these two things.
    Medications are those essential to you life.
    Yes we have a meet up place so we will know everyone is out. Other than that we know what we need to do in an emergency, depending. But I agree with others, there is not much you can do if the tornado... has your name on it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:10 PM on May. 24, 2013

• our congregation is encouraged to make to-go-bags
    live.the.life.

Answer by live.the.life. at 8:53 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I plan for tornadoes. If I know we're going to have bad weather I make sure we all have good shoes on and I make sure I have ID, insurance info, cell phones, chargers, medications (if we're on any), and money. I only plan for things that are likely to happen. If I tried to plan for everything I'd drive myself crazy lol.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 12:52 AM on May. 25, 2013

• I don't, not because I don't think it can happen but because it's unlikely.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:59 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Oil lamps & lamp oil too! Thats whay we used for a week when we were hit by Hurricane Sandy. Blankets too!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:03 PM on May. 24, 2013

• It's a good idea to make a plan and be prepared, but so far, my boyfriend and I haven't put everything together. It's one of those things that, perhaps foolishly, slides down the to-do list.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:05 PM on May. 24, 2013