Have any tips on getting a 2 yr old broken of the pacifier?

My daughter will be 10mos tomorrow and today was our first day without it and she's not even asking for it. It's the same age I took it from my son because he didn't ask for it that much. So I am not familiar with trying to take it from a kid that is SO attached to it.

My god son will be 2 in August and he loves the binky.
His mom told me she was trying to only give it to him at night and for naps but he would cry all day and walk around looking for it. I don't know how she is going to do it because he walks around all day with it in his mouth. I gave him a cookie and he took a bite then put the binky back in his mouth when he chewed! She keeps asking me how she should do it and I have no idea because I didn't wait that long for mine. Can you suggest anything???

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 7:56 PM on May. 24, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When it came time for our son (he was two at the time, as well), I simply asked him to throw it in the trash and say bye bye. It worked for us. I've seen Super Nanny explain to the child that if they give their paci to the paci fairy (to give to other children) they'll get a big boy/girl surprise, so she'll collect all the pacis and put them someplace special and the next morning they're will be a special something there, like the tooth fairy almost, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:52 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I tried everything. My daughter was a little over two. Finally I had to just let her see me throw the pacifiers in the trash because she was a big girl who didn't need them anymore, and then put up with the crying till she got over it. Don't cave in, no matter what, or you'll have to start at the beginning and it will be a million times harder because the kid will know you have a breaking point.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:59 PM on May. 24, 2013

• You have a very rough few days of only allowing it at bed time.
    Anonymous

• I have him Sunday afternoon into Monday morning so I'm hoping my son keeps him occupied enough that he won't think about it when he's here!!
    ThatBoysMom

Comment by ThatBoysMom (original poster) at 8:05 PM on May. 24, 2013

• That is easy. It simply gets "lost"
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:06 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Just take it away cold turkey. Let him cry for a few days.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I'd just take it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:48 AM on May. 25, 2013

• I have seen the Supernanny idea on TV and it seemed to work well. Plus you can simply have the house rule that it is for nap time and bedtime only. Children will often abide by another adult's rules. I also want to say that my friend's kids had a pacifier with them until they gave it up on their own at age three.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:28 AM on May. 25, 2013

• Take it and cut it up in front of the kid and then throw it away. Or take the part the kids sucks on off and give it back to the kid.

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 AM on May. 25, 2013