What is your opinion on pets at businesses?

Today, I went to get my hair cut. I don't get this luxury very often so when I do, it's a treat. Unfortunately, this treat turned into an unpleasant thing. One of the stylist had her new puppy there. The puppy was in another room but whined the entire time I was there. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I also use to work at a ski shop and the owner had her dog there with her. Every time the door opened, the dog would run to the door and start barking and get right under the customers feet. They went out of business (I wonder why).

On a positive note, as a child, I went to a pediatric dentist. The dentist brought his dog to work and would let the dog out every so often. This would calm a lot of the children, especially his new patients. 

So, what is your opinion? Do you do business with places that have pets? Any good or bad experiences? 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:44 PM on May. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• I love it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:45 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I love places that have their pets. A lot of the knit stores I go to have cats and some have rabbits. It makes for a very happy place.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 9:55 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I just dont like it
    Why do i have to watch my step or pet the puppy or put up with " he doesnt bite"
    I left my dog at home why cant they?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:55 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I have had both good and bad experiences. I stopped going to get my nails done at a place that put loud little parakeets on either side of the pedicure chairs. NOT relaxing! lol.
    My family therapist has her super calm dog in her office and that pup gets the therapy rolling like nothing I've ever seen. DD is just more relaxed and open to talk whenever the dog is there.

I think some pets are more appropriate in a business than others, and some business situations are more pet friendly than others.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:56 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I don't mind, BUT I did go into a salon once that had a roaming Chihuahua and it growled at everyone that walked in, and would walk past me growling. That I don't like
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:56 PM on May. 24, 2013

• OH! One boutique I went into had some great stuff, but I couldn't stand the smell coming from her bird cage. if she had just kept the cage clean it would have been ok
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:58 PM on May. 24, 2013

• The psychiatrist I saw when I was in middle school had her dog at work. The dog was very patient, gentle, and well behaved. It really made me feel better and helped me relax when petted the dog.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 10:02 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Tessiedawg, I completely agree that it depends on the pet and the business.

We actually have a school that has a dog that comes to school every day. The dog goes into the classrooms during the morning so that they students can read to the dog. In the afternoon, he goes with his owner (the gym teacher) to either take a nap in her office or play with the kids in p.e. class.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 10:04 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I don't like it. A lot of people assume that everyone must love dogs and want them to "greet" you. I can't stand dogs. Also, you never know who might be allergic. My son is so allergic to cats that he has been in the ER twice for steroid shots just from being in a house that has a cat, or used to have a cat.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:07 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I have a child with allergies. I hate being blindsided by a business that is going to make his eyes swell shut. At the very least they should have a warning on the door. His aren't bad compared to some people who stop breathing completely - a liability they should consider.

And I absolutely will not shop at a yarn store that has pets, I don't need to spend the extra time treating the yarn to get their pet's dander (and who knows what else) out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:07 PM on May. 24, 2013