Understanding/dealing with snobby supervisor

I am a substitute teachers aide and the principal at one school I sub at is snobby. She was short with me once when I asked if she'd like me to go in early when the secretary had informed me when I arrived early that they were short. I was trying to be helpful. Today I was told by the vice principal to be in a kindergarten room, and what time. Turns out today was an assembly. So I go in with the kindergartners and while we are waiting for the assembly to start, she asks another teacher who I'm standing by why I'm there. I didn't realize she'd asked until the other teacher told me why she had said I'm with the kindergartners. When we got back to the room I relayed this information to the kindergarten teacher and she said that's weird and why would she ask that? I'd wondered the same thing-and I asked whether there was a chance the principal was being a snob and she goes, "oh yeah definitely!"

It kinda felt to me like I was getting a "what's a lowly teachers aide sub like YOU doing in MY assembly?" Kinda thing. Wellllll, miss thing, you came from a brat academy so I'm not exactly overwhelmed with the way you didn't turn it around. Just because you're a principal doesn't make you all that and a bag of chips, and being a snob means I have LESS respect for you, and don't think that just because I'm friendly to you and professional doesn't mean I think you're the greatest thing that walked this planet. I have gotten AWESOME feedback from teachers at several schools but I don't let it go to my head. I still have stuff to learn.

Any ideas as to why bosses act like this and best way to deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on May. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• I wasn't there when it happened, so I am missing half of the context, but it sounds more like she was just wanting to know what's going on in her school. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:07 PM on May. 24, 2013

• There's other instances too, this is just one example. Is also her demeanor, so please just believe me, she's a snob. My question is how to handle her snobbery and why she's that way.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 PM on May. 24, 2013

• There's snoots all over. Let it roll off your back. If someone was looking down on you, it was way more her problem than yours.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:12 PM on May. 24, 2013

• How in the wod would we know what is going on between the two of you?
    Maybe she just doesnt like you
    Maybe youre hyper sensitive
    Maybe she has a bunch of personal problems spilling over to work
    Maybe youre one of those needy people
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:17 PM on May. 24, 2013

• I suggest looking into communication styles. Find out what communication style you are and find out how to "deal" with people who have a different communication style than you do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:19 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Some people just don't have great people skills. It's possible you're just reading too much into her interaction with you.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:27 PM on May. 24, 2013

• " Kinda thing. Wellllll, miss thing, you came from a brat academy so I'm not exactly overwhelmed with the way you didn't turn it around"

This sounds like you have preconceived attitudes regarding her prior work and her professional station and that is coloring everything she says to you.

There will always be supervisors and other co-workers that you will not click with. All you can do it maintain your level of professionalism.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:31 PM on May. 24, 2013

• No, it's more her attitude. She seems to have an inflated ego. And yes I totally maintain professionalism...it'd be nice if she treated ME like a professional. Another principal out it this way to me, when I mentioned I didn't have my teaching credentials yet, she responded, "that doesn't mean anything." And it's true. Getting teaching credentials tells you what you need to teach, but it doesn't make you a great teacher automatically.

Feretxat, if she just doesn't like me fine-but be professional. Idk why she wouldn't anyway, I've been told by more than one person I'm one of the only people they can count on to show up when I say I will, and I take initiative, and work hard. (One kindergarten teacher said I ask high level questions and don't sleep in class, another said I'm her favorite para because I take initiative). Today I went in and missed a bus to go take my books for book buyback when it was only today they're buying
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 PM on May. 24, 2013

• Books and now I have to go to a different campus that's another hour away, because I missed the bus by one minute. And she doesn't like me??

The reason I asked the other teacher if maybe she was being snooty was in case it was just me. It's NOT just me thinking this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 PM on May. 24, 2013

• WTF does your personal life (going to book buy back) have to do with why you don't get a long with this principal??

Sounds like you just need thicker skin (says one para to another).
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:04 PM on May. 24, 2013