Do you use butter with pasta?

Just wondering because I thought it was odd. We were over at a friend of a friend's house and were served egg noodles with butter and a side of beef chili. I put the chili on the pasta instead of the butter, and she almost screamed, "No, you should really use butter!" I have never heard or seen this practice before but just wondering if it's a regional thing to just use straight butter with pasta.  Sounds like a quick way to get a heart attack.

blank stare

hellokittykat

Asked by hellokittykat at 12:45 AM on May. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I like buttered noodles, but if I had a guest in my home and she wanted to put chili on her pasta, or maple syrup, or dishwater, I wouldn't presume to tell her not to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:04 AM on May. 25, 2013

• Why would buttered noodles be any worse for you than chili noodles? And no I don't eat them
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:25 AM on May. 25, 2013

• I like buttered noodles. I like them fried hard so they are crispy around the edges with salt and pepper.
    Chili and noodles? That's a new one!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:08 AM on May. 25, 2013

• Pasta has to have more then just butter on them for us. If I did do that. I would sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on it and stir.

I would have done the same thing as you did. Put the chili on the noodles.

Answer by louise2 at 8:55 AM on May. 25, 2013

• ive had "buttered noodles" before and didnt think too highly of it. but then im not a big fan of butter/margarine on things anyway.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:51 AM on May. 25, 2013

• I like buttered noodles. We have them very rarely because it's just so plain. However, I do find putting chili directly onto buttered noodles is gross.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:59 AM on May. 25, 2013

• Why would chili on noodles be gross when it's close to being meat spaghetti sauce or like a mexican lasagna or baked ziti? Whereas butter is like putting straight up vegetable oil on it.

hellokittykat

Comment by hellokittykat (original poster) at 3:01 AM on May. 25, 2013

• I toss my pasta in butter (only about a teaspoon or so) or olive oil before serving. I happen to like both the taste and the texture.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:28 AM on May. 25, 2013

• I toss my pasts i a little butter or olive oil to keep it from sticking and we have had noodles with butter and parm as a side dish before... but not with chili! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:12 AM on May. 25, 2013

• I like buttered noodles, nothing wrong with that. I think the host was a little batty to tell you what you could or couldn't do with your food. To each their own. I think chilli noodles sounds gross but that is just me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:45 PM on May. 25, 2013