What is the point in mentioning someone's sexual orientation if they're successful?

I don't understand it. I mean I get the importance of "coming out" but what does that have to do with why you are good at basketball or whatever? I am not great at what I do because I'm straight i'm great at what I do because I worked hard

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 10:41 AM on May. 25, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Because of stereotypes. People who "go against the grain" as far as what society thinks, have to prove themselves in whatever they do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:52 AM on May. 25, 2013

• What is the point in mentioning someone's sexual orientation if they're NOT successful?

nobody goes around stating in a public way if they are heterosexual
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 25, 2013

• To remind the bigoted assholes that the minorities aren't as scarce or abnormal as they desperately want to believe.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:19 AM on May. 25, 2013

• It is the same as celebrating any minority in success, until people are recognized as equal in various playing fields those that deal with inequality with need to speak up. maybe they will be aloud to marry and not be fired from a job just because of who they are if the celebrate their successes.....
    Jane1007

Answer by Jane1007 at 11:56 AM on May. 25, 2013

• The same phenomenon occurs with race and ethnic origin as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:06 PM on May. 25, 2013

• like others have said its for those who think ppl of a certain race/sex/whatever cant be successful.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:10 PM on May. 25, 2013

• If I got a bumper sticker that said 'Straight Pride' ... would people be generally accepting of it? What is I got a T-shirt with that on it....? I just don't get 'gay pride' It is a sexual preference nothing worthy of a cookie.
    Anonymous

• I'm not knocking it. I mean...it's great that they are so open about it and are setting a positive example for young gay kids across the country. At the same time it's none of my business or anyone else's business and it shouldn't change the kind of person someone is or the amount of effort they put into their careers.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 5:04 PM on May. 25, 2013

• it shouldn't change the kind of person someone is or the amount of effort they put into their careers.

That's the whole point
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:07 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I agree. I don't need to know what a star's bedroom choices are to appreciate their talents.
    JTROX

Answer by JTROX at 7:22 PM on May. 26, 2013