What time is appropriate?

What time do you think it's okay to let your kids knock on doors to see if the little ones of your neighbors can play? The first kid showed up here at 8:53 this morning. I thought that was a bit early. She wanted my daughter to go over to her house and play, still in her jammies--we were being lazy, what with the holiday weekend and all.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:57 PM on May. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• D can go outside and play whenever as long as I am up and it is light out. He can't go knock on doors till 10am. I use that because I get irritated if kids come over before 10 so I won't let DS do it to anyone else.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:05 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I normally don't let my son go knock on doors until about 10. I do let him go play outside before then and sometimes other kids will see him playing and come out to play.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:59 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Back when I grew up everyone was doing the same thing. Most kids were outside at 9, right after breakfast but now There is no time. Everyone has different things going on the weekends so its best for parents to talk and make plans for play time.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:01 PM on May. 25, 2013

• My parents never let us go play or knock on friends doors tell 10am. I did the same thing. Unless I seen kids outside playing.

Answer by louise2 at 1:03 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Around 10 or so. I figure this gives people a chance to get up and dressed and sort of ready for the day. The ones that can't play because they have to go somewhere with their parents will usually be gone by that time so there is no discussion and hurt feelings of not being able to play. I know how it sucks when we are ready to leave and their friends come over to see if they can play. It makes my errands that much more unpleasant because they (and I) are wishing they were playing with their friends instead of doing boring things with me.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:10 PM on May. 25, 2013

• We like to sleep in on weekends, we were not up at 8:53 this morning, lol. I would say 10
    CarpeDiemV

Answer by CarpeDiemV at 1:38 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I say call first... but not before 9:30 am. I won't answer the door if we aren't expecting anyone.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:40 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Yeah but think about when you were a kid that got up early on a saturday morning. Just because mom and dad were still asleep sometimes didn't mean you weren't up bright and early especially in the summer time lol. I think the kid was just excited, but I would make sure I talked to the child's parents to make sure they know what time to knock is acceptable in the future and make sure their child obey's.

405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:25 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I would say 10 am ish.. that should be after breakfast and such.. i would expect earlier where we are at.. but thats because we live on base and most of the hubbys/fathers leave early and the kiddos are up early as well. 9 am is half way through my morning most of the time lol
    USMCWifey2011

Answer by USMCWifey2011 at 3:45 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I make my kids wait til 10 am.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:16 PM on May. 25, 2013