What should we do after my son's high school graduation?

I planned to take the family(10 tickets for graduation) out to eat after the graduation ceremony, but it's a Monday night and I can't find a restaurant open. There is a diner in the area, would you take them there?(That's if we can even get reservations!) Or do you think it would be better to bring them back to the house to eat, and what would be good to serve? This is my first time doing this, and I want to enjoy it, and not STRESS like I usually do! The graduation starts at 6:30, so we should be done by 8:30.

At present, our house is a cluttered mess, and partly under construction. Any suggestions on how to pull this together in a month? It seemed like we had all this time, and now it's almost here!

Any advice appreciated!  I've asked my son what he wants, and he always says,"I don't care."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on May. 25, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Our favorite restaurant is a diner and I know that's where we'll go when the day comes; my son's pretty much grown up there.

For you: Backyard barbecue. Only clean up the kitchen and whatever pathway is needed for people to go from the yard to the bathroom; everything else is off limits with doors closed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:08 PM on May. 25, 2013

• One other thing you should check is whether the school itself is doing anything. I do know our local schools used to have a "lockdown" after-grad party; the kids have music and games and fun stuff in the gym. Keeps them off the roads and away from the booze all night; the doors don't open till something like 6AM. Don't know if they still do it.

My school did Disneyland after-grad.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:10 PM on May. 25, 2013

• At that hour of the night, I would do something at home. Keep it simple. Have stuff for sandwiches, chips and dips, veggies and dip, fruit and dip--that sort of thing. And I would get somebody else to bake a cake and decorate it (unless I had plenty of time, in which case I would do it myself) and serve it with ice cream for dessert.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:16 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I agree with gdiamante, if you want to have a party at home, just make the parts of the house where you don't want guests to go off limits. Baby gates in front of closed doors are good for that, if you can borrow some. The diner sounds like it would be un, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:20 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I would go to the diner, if that's an option. Keep it simple and fun! I would invite the relatives back to the house for ice cream cake and coffee, and just clear/clean the parts of the house the guests will be in. Closed doors are great!

If the diner isn't an option, I would order in a sandwich platters, salads, and get chips and other yummy things to eat at home. Keep it simple and enjoy yourself! Congrats to you and your son!
    ForestFairy09

Answer by ForestFairy09 at 2:29 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Order pizza!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:39 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I'd have a dinner out at a Restaurant on the Saturday or Sunday night before the Graduation. Then let everyone go home after the actual Graduation on Monday since most everyone will have work the next day. This way they can have drinks & relax.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:13 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Get him a keg & a stripper.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:46 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I definitely agree with ilovemypaulie, most of the night is going to be taken up with the graduation, I would celebrate it at a restaurant on the weekend before or after.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:42 AM on May. 26, 2013