Dish is a rip off...Does this make sense to you?

I've gone almost 8 years without cable. I signed up for dish mostly because my kids wanted cartoons, so I got their most basic package with cartoon network and a bunch of BS channels that aren't even worth watching. So, I pay all my bills through the checking account, then call the companies and give them the confirmation number. I did this with my first bill through dish and the woman I spoke too says that's fine, since she has the confirmation number my service would not be interrupted. So today guess what, no service. So I call them up and they said that there was a note on my account that I paid and that I gave the confirmation number but my service is interrupted until they receive the actual payment from my bank which won't be until Tuesday or Wednesday when my bank actually processes it even though the money has already been deducted from my account and I gave Dish the confirmation number. The rep from Dish said that if I wanted to make a payment with my credit card that they would credit my account when the bank payment comes through or they can send it back to the bank, which ever I want, and I can get my service back on in 5 minutes. I was nope that's BS because then it will short my bank account and I have checks coming through. So basically, a paid for a full month of service and only get three weeks of service, if I am lucky. People have been telling me that you have to keep calling and bugging them to get it turned back on, so as far as I'm concerned I just wasted money on service that I am not even getting. I'm just pissed off right now. I think the whole problem is that they just want my credit card number on file.

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 5:02 PM on May. 25, 2013 in Entertainment

• This is why we exclusively use Netflix for television. It's $8 a month and I have never had a problem in the 4 years we have used it. It has cartoons, adult shows, old shows, movies, docs... I would never pay for cable or satellite. Too much trouble.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:05 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Dish is a pain in the butt. We got it a few months ago, but we've already been through three satellite receivers that have gone bad, which means a service call for a tech to install a new box every time. We haven't had to pay for the service calls because the problem has been with the equipment, but we've had interrupted service, plus I have to be home and willing to have a strange man or two in my house when the repairs are made, which I don't care for very much. We never had this trouble with DirecTV, but we got rid of them because their prices kept going up for less and less channels. I'd be just as happy not to pay for TV at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:16 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I have a few other sites I use to watch newer movies... I am not 100% sure they are legal per-say... but they are there so I watch them...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:58 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I have hulu but use my xbox for it, so I also have xbox live. Hulu has shows the next day from airing which is great. they have a ton of kids shows as well. We also get the free HD air channels here so my son can watch PBS and Fox(on weekends) for cartoons as well.

I had netflix before but didn't like it as much as hulu. I don't watch a ton of newer movies, but if I do I usually just do redbox(which also has just released a streaming options for $8 a month and you get unlimted online and 4 dvds a month).

We used to have Direct TV..hated it, they were always screwing up our bills(how much we owed) and they always were dropping channels. Never again. We don't need that much TV as my son can watch cartoons either on hulu or we rent movies from the library for him.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:44 PM on May. 25, 2013

• You could also just set up the bill pay for the week before it is due, that is what I do with rent and such so I don't have to worry about either the bank being late, the post office or the company being late processing the payment.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:05 PM on May. 25, 2013

• For anything you buy check the reviews on line first, I learned the hard way. Never had dish but heard bad things.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 11:49 PM on May. 25, 2013

• We had dish at one point, but even the cheapest package was expensive and only had a few channels that we actually watched. When in the states we only paid for internet and then used netflix and hulu for TV. Hulu has most of the new shows and netflix had everything the kids liked.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:55 PM on May. 25, 2013

• If you have a Wii or an XBox (not sure about PS3, but they probably do, too), the kids can watch Netflix on tv through the console, and you still have your computer for yourself. As for the shows not on Netflix, google is your friend, everything is out there streaming somewhere, most of them right on the network site that owns the show. Amazon and ITunes have more, and some get posted straight to YouTube and other free video sites. If you have an Amazon prime acct (worth it just for the free shipping if you order more than 3 things a year), you get tons of free streaming shows and movie included with the acct.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 AM on May. 26, 2013

• http://www.tvmuse.eu/    I use this a lot to locate the things I  want to watch.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:42 AM on May. 26, 2013

• yeah its nice for the kids so I can watch what I want on my computer and they can watch the TV but omg these satellite companies are pain in the ass sometimes. And I know once my payment is processed I'm not going to get reimbursed for the week or two weeks that they suspended service. I can see if I didn't pay at all and was in default but come on, the confirmation number should be enough proof that I made the payment. It is for my gas and electric company and my internet and phone company. I just don't get what the deal is.
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 5:09 PM on May. 25, 2013