Taking toys outside to play with other children??

My son(5) is an only child so perhaps this "taints"/infuences my decision/thoughts. We recently moved to another state and are in an Apartment Complex for now(plan on buying a house in a year). And for the first time we are surrounded by children(for better or worse lol).

Anyways they are always asking if my Son can take toys out to play. I typically say no. Probably partly because he is an only child we buy more expensive toys(typically on sale though lol) and I would rather they didn't get broken. lol I did let him take out some toys, little army men etc.

The kids know that he has "cool" toys because we(him and I) went out an played with some of his remote control cars(that my mother bought for him).

Am I wrong for not allowing the majority of his toys outside?? W

What do you do??

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 7:33 PM on May. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't let my son take expensive or "favorite" toys out to play with other kids. 1. they will most likely get broken or 2. they will get stolen. We had a kid that I caught stealing once and suspected him of stealing at least 2 other times, after he was caught he was no onger allowed inside the house, they had to stay outside.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:35 PM on May. 25, 2013

• If you are out there to supervise then taking a couple of the toys out wouldn't be that big of a deal. Though I do agree that the favorites shouldn't be shared, not only are there breakage/stealing issues, there are also the issues of not wanting to share those toys. There are certain toys of my son's that we put away before his friends come over to visit. I think the same thing applies to outside toys.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:38 PM on May. 25, 2013

• You are not wrong. Those kids will just distroy them.

Answer by louise2 at 7:44 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I don't let expensive or favorite toys go outside unless I'm right there to supervise. But I do encourage sharing things like pool toys, bubbles, and sidewalk chalk.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:51 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I do the same thing!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:06 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Hey if a toy gets broken or lost great one less piece of crap i have to find a place for. lol No really though somethings are less important then others and make it clear that if something leaves the safety of your home it might not come back, If your kid understands this concept then let him bring out stuff remember he will only be interested in toys for a little while longer might as-well enjoy and destroy while it's fun. lol
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 8:17 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Toys are meant to be played with. Many of them are better with others and some are Not. Some should be shared and some could be shared with another single child under supervision, such as an xbox.

We bought DGS a more expensive r and it goes out only when one of us does. It is not for sharing.
    That is a jusdgement call only you can make. You might want to consider buying some less expensive toys to play with outside. in addition to what he has for variety.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:52 PM on May. 25, 2013

• It depends on what it is. If it's sidewalk chalk I'm alright with them taking it out and sharing it. If it's nerf guns, sadly it completely depends on who they are playing with. The kids next door have nerf guns but their mother doesn't let them bring theirs outside, but they come to my house to see if DS will play with them and bring all of his stuff outside. I tell them no. If it's the kids down the street that don't have any nerf guns and they want to play, I tell DS it's okay as long as they help him clean up the darts.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:04 PM on May. 25, 2013

• always a disagreement and sometimes fight
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 11:59 AM on May. 28, 2013