Juice already?

So I am a military mom and at our Naval Hospital here we have an advice nurse you can call and she tells you what you can do for whatever problem your little one is having. Well my little girl is almost 4 months now, shes been congested for about 2 weeks and her coughing seems to be getting worse and worse. Anyway to get to my point one of the many suggestions she gave was to give her warm juice to relax her throat, she said she was old enough for it. I thought they had to be like 6-8 months for juice. I didn't know they could have juice at 4 months?? Anyone give their lil one juice this young? Am I just listening to the wrong gossip or what?

smnice

Asked by smnice at 5:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would't give juice at that age. To be honest juice isn't even a necessary thing to give your child at all, but I was always told wait until 7 months if you are going to try. Too early in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• for a cold? turn on your shower and sit on the toilet seat with her, the hot water (steam) will help with that.. also, get a cold mist humidifier and put it in her room... ( thats what we did, and OMG, worked wonders) our son is 7 months old, and we wont be giving him juice period. Milk or water those are it for him... and he's very limited on the water..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 5:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• All major health organisation recommend no juices/solid foods/water until 6 months of age.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Ya, that just sounds crazy. We didn't give DD juice until after 1 year.

How would warm juice be better than warm milk???

Stick with milk, a humidifier, and the shower thing works great. I actually rub vick on my shower walls to, lol.

And I have HEARD if you rub vick on your baby's feet and then put socks on, it's supposed to help, lol. I haven't tried it but my friends swear by it, so who knows give it a shot.

Good luck!!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I thought the juice thing sounded crazy, i've tried the humidifier and the shower, and the baby vaporub (which apparently pediatricians say actually irritates more than helps, so says this crazy nurse). I'm most likely going to take her to the ER tomorrow because like I said i'm a military mom so of course i live in a military town with a million little ones and no availble doctor appointments, ever!
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 5:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What she is saying makes sense (you'd need to dilute the juice and not offer very much). But if you don't feel comfortable with it then don't do it. I know my mom gave me juice when I was really young, probably 3-4 months and I'm really healthy now-but you need to do things at your own comfort level.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 5:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• glad you got the appointment... there isnt really any medication they cangive you... my son had his first cold last month, and it was just gross, but after we got the humidifier that took him over the edge and he felt so much better.. good luck at the doctors..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 5:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• there is specific baby juice that starts at 4months, yes.

for a cough.. well, warm baby tea with some honey or formula with some honey (yeah i know honey is sooooo bad. no its not!... it helps with the sore throat, makes it soft)
    get something that you can put in the bath water (herbal stuff for colds), then give your baby a really warm bath. you should do that before his (dinner)bottle, then straight to bed and lots of sleep.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• 4 months is to young i heard your suppose to wait till they can sit up on their own which is when they are 6.-8 months.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 5:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• yeah I did, but I wouldnt give to much.You'll have a mess lol.Just until her stomach gets used to it.Try a cool air humdifier for her congestion.
    Anonymous