Have any of you bought yogurt starter?

Someone recommended to me that I buy some yogurt starter off of amazon to make my own soy yogurt for my son (since the commissary has none, and I wouldn't be able to know if it was soy or not off base). Just curious if any of you had ever used it? I found one with great reviews, just don't know how much work goes into it?

Also does anyone know if I can just make pudding with soy milk instead of regular? I bought pudding cups but realized that they have dairy in them. DS LOVES pudding, yogurt, and most dairy, but it messes him up. I am trying to cut out all dairy and see if he improves at all. (Hoping to stop him from bloating and having a distended belly along with gas pains every single day.)

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 8:45 PM on May. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Experiment.  Buy some dry pudding and mix it with soy milk.  I would imagineit should work.   If you find some soy yogurt off post some where . Just keep the container and box if it has one and bring it into the commissary. You can special order thing.

Answer by louise2 at 8:53 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Sorry, You are in Japan aren't you? Yea, you probably won't find any over their.

Answer by louise2 at 8:55 PM on May. 25, 2013

• You can make it at home without a starter kit. Found a recipe for using a slow cooker and just some soyyougurt from the store as a starter. 

http://www.ehow.com/how_4749977_soy-yogurt-slow-cooker.html

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:02 PM on May. 25, 2013

• We can't buy it at the store, they don't sell it.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 9:04 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I'm not sure what kind of stores you have but in my city any store that carries organic or alternative products has what your looking for. Remember you only need to purchase this once and you just keep using batch after batch. Home made yogurt is so yummy good luck. Oh also almond milk is marvellous as-well and can be used to make anything milk related and that to can be home made.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 9:06 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Pink, we live in Japan, so I only have the store on base if I want to know exactly what I am getting. They might have organic stores, but I wouldn't know what I am buying, because it is all in Kanji.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 9:15 PM on May. 25, 2013

• AF, can you have your family send it to you?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:26 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I just googled recipes for making pudding with soy milk, but I don't know how to post the links. It seems there's a trick to it, but you can do it.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:31 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Are you sure about soy for a young boy? Maybe try almond or rice or hemp. Avoid the estrogen overload.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on May. 26, 2013