What do you think of the argument that being gay is a mental illness like bipolar disorder?

I have compassion for gay people and think they should be able to get married. The topic came up at a family barbecue today. One of my relatives, who thinks gay marriage is an attack on traditional marriage said, homosexuality is a mental illness and should be treated as such.-like schizophrenia. I know homosexuality had been considered a psychiatric disorder in the past. What would a good argument be? What do you think? This same relative said homosexuality is a sin. I reminded him that Jesus NEVER said anything about homosexuality.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on May. 25, 2013 in Religious Debate

• People have been saying for too long and no one has been able to actually prove it. So let those who know not, argue among themselves. We already know what we need to know.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:25 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I don't bother arguing with ignorance... it's a waist of your time!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:27 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I don't know why this is in religion, but I guess you could have told him that the bible tells them that it isn't their place to judge others.

I don't think it's a mental illness. I don't really even think it's a choice. I think it's a preference and that it is something people are born with. I can't imagine people choosing to feel that they have to pretend that they are interested in people they aren't, and that they can't fully be who they are even with the people closest to them.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:29 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Jesus never said anything other people said what Jesus said. That being said, There is this Brain surgeon who did a brain study on brains and he discovered there is a difference in genetic make-up but that doesn't make it right or wrong it just makes it boy, girl and gay. Mental disorders are more a chemical imbalance.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 10:30 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Here we go again.....
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:39 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Your relative lives in a box.
    I'd never choose to be gay because it is such a hard life path. Most gay friends I have, knew they were gay from a very, very young age. Being gay is something someone is born with and not a choice. As far as mental illness goes, well that is why our country is so ignorant. People need to move out of their comfy, small minds and meet real people who are gay who are incredibly successful at work and raising happy families of their own, to realize that it is NOT a mental illness. It's a way of life, like believing in God or whatever. It's like saying all Arabs are terrorists. Ridiculous.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:47 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Jesus said a lot and it is recorded in the Gospels. That's what I believe.

It 's hard because this relative brings up gay people every time we see each other. He 's upset that I support gay marriage. He 's also said pedophiles are born that way,do you accept them? And if gays get married why not have polygamy? I wonder why this is such an issue to him?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 PM on May. 25, 2013

• Bullshit....utter bullshit. It's just a cop out excuse for people to say that there is something wrong with gay people. There is nothing wrong with being gay. It is different but, unless you are gay, then gays being together does not effect you.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:01 PM on May. 25, 2013

• what do I think ? ignorance
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:07 PM on May. 25, 2013

• I don't believe being gay is a choice or a mental ilness. I also don't believe you'll ever convince your relative to change his mind. Arguing with him will be utterly pointless and only lead to hard feelings between you. Couldn't you just tell him you would prefer not to discuss the subject?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:08 PM on May. 25, 2013