Need some weight loss advice , can you suggest anything?

5'8" and weigh about 279 lbs. I can not for the life of me lose any weight. I will lose a couple pounds and then gain it right back. I try to eat right, drink water, get exercise (although I am working on exercising more), but nothing helps. Does anyone know of maybe taking a diet pill or something to help? Or what are some of your successes in losing weight
Thanks in advance for all your advice! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 26, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Start small, make little goals. Things like drinking your water every day, working out/moving for so many min. a day or week, limiting fast food...whatever. Reaching those kinds of goals on a daily /weekly basis can help motivate you to keep going. Then as you go -you can build on those things (more water/ longer work outs...) That's how I started and what I've done.

I started at 239 and I'm now 180 and still losing.
    Also, find a way of eating that works for you. Some people eat clean - I count calories. I still eat crap -but it HAS to fit in my calories.
    and make sure you eat enough- some people think not eating will make them lose ,and you HAVE to eat. I eat about 1700 cal. right now average.
    you can DO this. *also there is a healthy weight loss group here that can help and support you
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:24 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Burn more calories than you take in.
    Eat healthy, exercise.
    It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:08 AM on May. 26, 2013

• Lap band is day surgery in some larger hospitals now and totally adjustable if you truly cannot make headway

a personal trainer in a gym can be amazing and a dietician your doc recommends. and of course make 100% sure you have no thyroid, etc conditions stopping you from losing. diabetes, pcos, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:57 AM on May. 26, 2013

• *also, don't use pills, shakes or strict diets. You don't need them and they ultimately aren't good for you and don't usually stick once you quit using them.

here is a link to the group if you want it:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1111

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I'm about halfway to my goal of losing fifty pounds. I broke it into smaller goals so it didn't seem too overwhelming. The biggest change I made, and am still working on, is portion control. A few bites of something yummy can be as satisfying as a whole plateful. Cutting out the foods you love completely will backfire because you'll eventually rebel. But having a smidge of something you enjoy can be enough. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:57 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Talk to your doc... make sure it's nothing medical, get a referral to a nutritionist for a fine tuning of what you eat....
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:14 AM on May. 26, 2013

• It is VERY hard to lose weight by yourself. I suggest you join one of the many websites that help you eat healthy and find yourself a weight loss buddy, someone who is in exactly the same situation as you. Weightwatchers is a good one because it is a whole life re-education. Yes, you learn how to eat properly and excercise again but they also teach you to APPRECIATE life in general. It's a very positive place (even better, sign up for meetings).

If you don't want to do that then you REALLY should start to keep a journal. note down absolutely everything that you swallow. I think you'll get a shock. Most people eat much, much more than they think they do.

Forget pills.

Forget surgery.

Forget diets.

You need a whole life makeover - a healthy attitude to food, a realization that exercise is necessary and can be fun, a new look at life.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:19 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I agree with pp's. Make short term goals. While you already have an idea of where you want to be, make a short term goal for a month or a week. It's easier to not get discouraged when you allow yourself to celebrate the smaller successes. They are all stepping stones to your ultimate goal.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:24 PM on May. 26, 2013

• There is a place here called Medical Weight Loss Clinics. I know it's basically based on a certain medication that is NOT good for you, vitamins and caloric intake. It runs about $79.00 a month. I don't recommend it, but you might talk to them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:12 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I'm 5'4", and I was 269 lbs 3 years ago.  I've lost over 100 lbs.  I eat clean and I work out, and it makes all the difference.  I have a couple of journals about my journey and what's working for me if you want to read them (I'm not selling anything).  I'd really encourage you to stay away from pills and other fads.  It CAN be done without surgery, too.

Clean eating

What's working for me

Weight loss tips

DEFINITELY check out the Healthy Weight Loss group Charlotsomtimes linked, too!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:48 PM on May. 27, 2013