Birthday treat school classroom

this is a spin off from a response I got to a question I asked last week, curious about budget for a girl turning 7.

A person offered a personal challenge to do EVERYTHING $30 or under, which she admitted would only be possible by skipping class room treat.

In my kids school (birthday girl is in 1st and her brother is in 2nd) the birthday child gets to pick a friend and they leave class and bring a treat (whatever the parent sent. usually icecream cup or cupcakes) to whoever is in the office or maybe the librarian. it's a HUGE DEAL and they feel on top of the world. also teacher sticks a candle in whatever mom brings in and the class sings.

so my question.... would you ever skip the b-day celebration? how would you explain it? would you only do it for financial reasons or would/could something else sway you?

note... I just asked my little girl out of curiosity and she said if she was only having one yummy thing for the celebration of her b-day she'd rather that yummy thing be at school with her class than at home w/ family.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:22 AM on May. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I never skipped the school birthday treat, even when on a budget. It's the one day that your child really is the center of their universe.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:27 AM on May. 26, 2013

• What impact does that huge deal have on the ones who don't celebrate birthdays? Are they forced to by peer pressure or are they bullied for it? If not, it's no different for your own child. If they are, there's a bigger problem at your school than skipping one birthday treat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I rarely do class treats so not doing it isnt that big of a deal
    I just dont bring it up

As to not spending on your child because it raises the level of expectation as they age says more about parenting skills and less about the child

According to that theory not giving the same number of gifts creates little monsters too
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:38 AM on May. 26, 2013

• Our school requires that you bring only store bought goods for the kids. In this case, I would have to buy for the whole class, as they do not let the children choose just one friend to share something with. It's all or nothing (same goes with Birthday invites sent for the teacher to give out - all classmates or none). If I could not afford cupcakes, I would try to find something I could afford for them to bring in and share. Not necessarily a food product. DD's birthday falls during the summer and so she doesn't usually get to have a big birthday (we are usually on vacation during this time) so we send in cupcakes to be shared on a day determined by the teacher, usually close to the end of the year.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:44 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I sent in cupcakes to class for my Son's Birthday. A lot of Parents do. Every few weeks someone has a class Birthday with cupcakes, pop-um's or fruit cups. They like it but it has become so routine that it's not a huge deal anymore. Some children's Birthday is in the summer so they don't have a class Birthday. No big deal. We have either a Party at home or this year we had a bounce Party for my Son at a Bounce place. It depends on what we have to spare around their Birthday's. Either way we have a Party even if it is just with immediate family with balloons & a nice cake.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:46 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I'd spend the $5-6 and make cupcakes for the class.... in fact I do just that...it's so worth it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:46 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I had crap birthdays as a kid, so maybe I overdo it, but I want my daughter to have awesome ones. I'd go hungry myself before I skipped sending in a class treat. I don't know what the policy of the elementary school will be, but for her preschool, parents had to send in treats in store packages with the ingredient list available. This last year for the first time, we did a birthday party for a few school friends, but we sent the invitations privately and not through the school because we couldn't afford to invite the whole class. We also do a little cupcake with a candle at home for the birthday person of any age. It isn't often a person gets to be celebrated, so I guess in our family, we do it up right. My mom used to bitch every year about how traumatic my birth was on her, since I was three months premature and not expected to live, and how the day of my birth didn't bring her happy memories. As if I could help that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I wouldn't skip the school birthday treat. At my daughter's school, parents are responsible for providing snacks (for all students) four days a week. (Students bake muffins or bread that gets used for snack on Wednesdays.) We have a calendar & it goes in alphabetical order. The only deviation from that is on birthdays; you send a treat for the whole school (so far, at most that has been 40) on your child's birthday. (That's the only time the snack tends to be focused on sweets/treats rather than cheese/crackers, fruit or veggies, bread, popcorn...) Also, everyone has snack together on birthdays (normally the middle school has snack a bit later than the elementary group, but for birthday snacks they all gather, sing Happy Birthday, and enjoy the treat together.)
    You can go simple, but it's not something I'd consider opting out of.

It sounded like (in your other question) the person may have meant take cupcakes but no "gifts"?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:21 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Our schools don't celebrate birthdays with food treats. You never know who is allergic to what and in my son's class there is at least one on the GF/CF diet.

We skip birthday celebrations at school completely. Though the entire class usually will make a card for the birthday child. Even invitations to parties must be given to the entire class or to no one at all. They are pretty strict here.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:17 PM on May. 26, 2013

• My son went to two diffrent pre schools(moved). The first one was at the local elementary school where we were allowed to bring sweets(but as his birthday is just a few days before halloween I did pumpkin cupcakes instead of a really sweet treat. The second school we couldn't bring anything with sugar in, or red food dye...a whole list.

At both places everything that was brought had to be shared with entire class.

Don't skip it, and if you can share any limtations you may have perhaps we can help with budget friendly alternatives.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:03 PM on May. 26, 2013