My mom says I'm selfish...

Today I started potty training our son and its going as expected I suppose, he hasn't yet gone in his little toilet but has in his pull ups, but I just keep sticking to the routine, taking him very 20 min, we try sitting there a few minutes, I praise him for trying and say, "that's ok, we'll try again later"! I called my mom earlier and told her how it was going, and she said I'm selfish because I told her "I'm not excited about potty training, because it can get messy and I'm not getting much house work etc. done but it has to be done". Does that sound selfish...to not be excited a out potty training?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure what about any of that makes you sound selfish. I disagree with your mother.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:38 AM on May. 26, 2013

• Your mom would hate me
    I went to bed last night instead of waiting for baby to tire out and left SO with the kid

Pretty selfish, huh
    Getting my beauty rest instead of sitting up with a teething hyper toddler :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I don't get it. Why is that selfish?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:49 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I don't think many people are actually excited about potty training....about finally having them trained yes, but not about the potty training!! No I don't think you're selfish. Selfish would be if you didn't train your kid because it got in the way of the rest of your life!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:05 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Well she thinks that I'm being selfish because I don't have a desire to potty train him and I could think of 100 other things I'd rather be doing and that I should be excited and WANT to potty train him...I do want him potty trained, but I think it's normal to not want to clean up pee and poop ALL DAY, but again, it must be done, so I'm doing it...with a smile on my face.! I'll never be excited about it, because it not a task that will happen over night (which is fine) but it still has to be done. She says she never dreaded it and all three of us potty trained lickity split.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Maybe she was just having a bad day? We all have them and sometimes we say things that we REALLY regret later :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:12 PM on May. 26, 2013

• not selfish, just honest.

also- I'd skip the pull-ups ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:14 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Your mother has a few screws loose. Who would be excited about potty training, for goodness sake?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I wasn't excited so I guess I am as selfish s you, lol. It is something that has to be gone through like any other phase. I have to say I wasn't thrilled with the "terrible two" phase either.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2013

• im with charlotsomtimes.,.. skip the pull ups! will take probably a yr off!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:51 PM on May. 26, 2013