Baptist's view on suicide?

I have to go anon on this one for family reasons.

My neighbors are devout Baptists. His sister committed suicide a few years back. She left behind 4 little kids. So sad, right? What I'm not understanding are the FB posts saying how she is in heaven smiling down on them, in heaven blessing them from above, their heavenly guardian angel....etc.

Committing suicide sends you to hell, according to their religion. She's not in heaven, she's in hell for killing herself and leaving those babies without a mother.

Hypocrites or right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 26, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nah...not really. Suicide is something that is argumentative in every religion UNTIL it happens to them. Then there are exceptions. I've been to Catholic suicide funerals and to Baptist. At least the Catholic mass addressed on the subject. I remember the Priest trying to explain it to the family because they of course have to comfort that family. The Baptist mass, tried to cover it all up.... LOL.

I don't think it's a subject that should be put to a test in any religion. Yes, it happens..... Religion? That's why I hate it....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:57 AM on May. 26, 2013

• Of course it's hypocritical. When push comes to shove, the majority of people choose their family over religion. Those that don't are the ones that are looked at sideways, because that's when it becomes fanaticism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Yes, but how would you rather think of it? that she is in heaven looking down on the kids
    or would you tell them that she's suffering in Hell, because apparently, she hadn't suffered enough here

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:06 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I don't think so, not every person believes every word of their chosen religion; suicide is one of those things Christians can't seem to agree on, especially on an individual level.

CarpeDiemV

Answer by CarpeDiemV at 12:10 PM on May. 26, 2013

• We will never really know for sure so who cares? If it makes the poor kids feel better then so be it. I hate Facebook & all this BS that goes along with it & people posting & reading everyone's crap & sharing it. Who CARES?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:16 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I hate Facebook & all this BS that goes along with it & people posting & reading everyone's crap & sharing it. Who CARES?

What's the difference between facebook and any other interaction between two people? The OP's story could just as easily have been about a relative who goes on and on about another family member, or a co-worker who keeps talking about it at work.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 PM on May. 26, 2013

• No, this is their belief. If they personally didn't state that people were going to Hell while at the samething posting this on FB, they aren't hypocrites.  People have their individual thoughts and beliefs even if they follow the core beliefs of a group or religion.  They are grieving.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:03 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Not all Baptists believe that. Just becuase some do, doesn't mean all do. Why don't you get to know about them and their beliefs before you criticize the way they grieve the loss of their daughter. Why do you care what they believe? They just lost a daughter, mind your own business.
    Anonymous

• Those poor babies have no mother. She must have already been through hell, to kill herself and leave behind her children. Would it make the situation better if, instead of saying something comforting, people badgered those already greving kids with assertions that their mother would spend eternity in hell? If people did that, you would be on here raging against religion, rightfully, for its insensitivity and lack of compassion. Maybe the core belief of the Baptists is that suicide is an unforgiveable sin, I don't know, but a lot of people don't buy into that. My boyfriend had a good friend who shot himself, and his wife and daughters begged the police for a false report they could show to the Catholic church that listed his deathas an accident, so he could have a burial in his own congregation. I grew up Catholic and still hold many rituals of the church very dear, but that disgusted me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:27 PM on May. 26, 2013

• We just believe no matter how someone leaves this world, all people return back to God.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:42 PM on May. 26, 2013