Breastmilk and Formula

I just had my baby on Saturday and I'm trying my best to keep breastfeeding. It is a little frustrating at first but I am getting a hang of it. Anyways I let him stay one night a week at his daddys house. I'm not pumping as much milk as I thought so I let him feed him formula while he's over there. Is that bad???

proudmami23

Asked by proudmami23 at 1:42 PM on May. 26, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you gotta do what you have to. :) I supplemented formula for bm.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:54 PM on May. 26, 2013

• My daughter is fostering to adopt a month and a half baby girl and my nephews wife who just recently had a baby is supplying her with breast milk, and my daughter mixes it with the formula...it is working like a charm!

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I mixed breastmilk and formula for my daughter's entire first year because I couldn't produce enough to meet her needs. It worked well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I just saw an add for a new formala that is geared/made towards supplementing so it is supposed to be more like breastmilk. Don't know if it is better/different or now. My son is 5 now so it has been a while since I had anything to do with formula lol

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. You are doing what is best for the baby.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:13 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Would you like help on pumping? Try the breastfeeding group on cafemom. Formula supplementing is a tricky road- breastfed infants have what is called an "open gut" which allows the antibodies in breastmilk to do what they need to do in an infants body to protect them from virus's and such, which is part of the reason breastfeeding is so good and why breastfed babies don't need to poop as often because it is all absorbed.

As for your pump- is it new? are you pumping at the same times baby would feed? Breastfed infants do not consume very much so you very well may be producing enough and just not know it. Rule of thumb is about 1 oz per hour and that doesn't change as baby gets older. Formula also differs that way because babies are fed many more ounces that way which can also stretch the tummy and cause discomfort.

Education is your best step.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:37 PM on May. 26, 2013

• What I meant with the open gut thing is that formula closes that- as do solid foods when you start at 6+ months.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:38 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Why are you letting a week old baby go any where?
    Even a judge wouldnt agree to that
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:45 PM on May. 26, 2013

• NO it's not bad, I would say the night she's with her dad be sure to pump. Even if you don't have the baby, you have to keep your breast stimulated like you are breast feeding. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:54 AM on May. 28, 2013

• No way my son would be going anywhere at that age. Besides...all my kids do that soon is nurse.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No way in hell my 1 week old would be leaving my sight. They nurse so much then to establish supply.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2013