Fuel for Political Fire!

Is supporting Obama unpatriotic?

burning_woman

Asked by burning_woman at 5:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course not. He is the president. How would that be unpatriotic?
    Anonymous

• I just ask because during the Bush administration I was called unpatriotic for not supporting our president. Now that a democrat is in office I'm called a socialist or a supporter of terrorism...
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 5:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I do feel that if you do not support him you are viewed as racist. It comes off that way.
    Anonymous

• I always say you never have to respect the man or his way of doing things, but you should always respect the position he is in.
    Anonymous

• The most patriotic thing you can do in America is question your government, regardless of party

TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 5:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I guess a better way to phrase it would be, "Is NOT supporting Obama unpatriotic?".
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 5:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I dont like Obama and I dont have to. People who didnt support Bush for the past 8 yrs might have been called names but now its my turn. Im not unpatriotic in any way shape or form, nor am I a racist since Im also a minority. I always have said you can support the country but not the president.
    Anonymous

• Obama for 52% of the vote so 48% of the country was unhappy Nov 4th. Bush had 51% in 2004 so 49% were unhappy. Not much difference if you ask me. The only difference is now the democrats are in office as opposed to republicans so its different unhappy people LOL. I dont support Obama and I dont have to. Its my right as an American to oppose whoever I want to.

Answer by gemgem at 5:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You were unpatriotic if you went OVER SEAS and critisized the president in an ugly hateful way i.e. no facts just I don't like him. You were unpatriotic if you didn't support our troops. Otherwise...question away. I never said you were unpatriotic for not supporting Bush 100% and do find me the link where someone did say that. And be sure to make it MSNBC or CNN, after all those are the only stations ya'll find credible.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Instead of a link.. why don't you just google "Ann Coulter" or "Rush Limbaugh". I, also, don't think many people on any side AREN"T supporting the troops. Supporting the troops and supporting the war are two competely different things. But that's aside from the point. My point is democrats weren't afforded the same grace to say "I disagree with Bush" without being bombarded with accusations about being an unpatriotic terrorist.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 5:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009