St. John's Wort

Anyone take St. John's Wort after feeling uncharacteristically depressed? What have been your results? I'm not talking clinically diagnosed "Depression," just a period of feeling down and irritable and unmotivated to do much of anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on May. 26, 2013 in Health

• *Wart*
    Anonymous

• Egg in your face. It is W-O-R-T.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I tried it and it didn't do anything for me, but my ex husband has had very good luck with it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:49 PM on May. 26, 2013

• *Wart*
    Anonymous

• I've used it for years, along with Valerian Root and Passiflora, depending on what I'm dealing with (anxiety or depression). It does take a week or so to get the full benefit.

What I've noticed is that if I used it for too long it loses its efficacy and doesn't work as well. IMO it's great for acute episodes of depression or anxiety but maybe not great for very long term
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:51 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I tried it once, but not for very long because I found out that it makes you more susceptible to sunburn, and I burn just by thinking of being in the sun. lol So I didn't use it long enough to really get any benefit from it, but I know I've heard from a lot of people that it can help.

And, anon, seriously, stop. You're making a huge ass of yourself. Look it up. Really.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2013

• It's "Wort" anon... the word "wort" means "plant" in Old English.

I worked with someone who took it... it's a mood enhancer - if she was in a bad mood it made it worse, if she was in a good mood it made her feel better. Other then that I got nothing...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:01 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Bananas are a good mood lifter too. My mom used it for awhile and had decent results. Just know it can mess with birth control. Not sure if you are on BC pills, but it can make them less effective. Check with your doctor if you are taking any kind of prescription medications to make sure it won't interact with them. otherwise it won't hurt to try.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:04 PM on May. 26, 2013

• *wart*
    Anonymous

• No anon., no matter how many times you try, it is spelled correctly. It is St. John's WORT not a wart like you would get on your hand. Look it up.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:05 PM on May. 26, 2013