Differences....

Do you feel it is important to understand beliefs or interpretations that are different from your own? Is there any responsibility on each of us, especially those of us who choose to enter into places like this (here on CM), where many different beliefs are represented and discussed, to educate ourselves, or are others responsible for teaching us or explaining to us? If we are unfamiliar with an interpretation or belief should we make an effort to at least understand it, especially within the lines of discussion like we have here, or do you just brush it off because it's "different?"

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 6:42 PM on May. 26, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• If I want to engage in the discussion then yes I should learn a least a little about the other belief system, or know enough to ask others and not assume I know something/everything.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:48 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I think it's important to understand the basis of the religion itself.... however, it's also important for the followers of every religion to understand that what they believe is just that, a belief. (Like that's ever going to happen)... But, I've also come to hate the whole concept of religion because in reality, it's just hatred....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:50 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I think sometimes a person's faith is dangling on a very thin thread. Seeing something that might put any weight on that thread, would cause it to fall. I find that for the most part, exposing myself to other belief systems has made me stronger in my own faith.
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 6:51 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Most people understand a little about all religiouns. At least they should.

Answer by louise2 at 7:04 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I think that everyone should attempt to educate themselves about life (religions or cultures) outside of their day to day life & comfort zone.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:32 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I learn about everything so i have a working knowledge in which to discuss it and exchange what I know for more knowledge.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:40 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I think the great thing about places like this is that there is the opportunity to learn more about other beliefs... if you are willing to do so. Sadly, some people aren't willing to use their little brains to learn about new things, and instead fill their heads with nonsense.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:46 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I'm not sure we have a responsibility to understand other beliefs, solely bc there are some beliefs that I will never understand no matter how much I study them. But I do think, if you willingly enter a discussion of other beliefs, you must be respectful to everyone (and their beliefs) and you must be open to the fact that what they say is real to them.... Since I am not "all knowing" I do not have the right to dismiss you or your beliefs as invalid. If I can't give you understanding (as in comprehension), I can at least give you that.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:09 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I believe we all have a responsibility to respect each other. I like to hear about the beliefs of others, if they are presented in a civil way, because religion and the way people interpret it is interesting to me. I'm not sure it's so much a responsibility as it is an interest, but basic respect is definitely a responsibility.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:00 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I don't consider myself an expert on most religions, so I don't get too deeply into a debate. I try not to debate unless I know what I'm talking about. There are so many different beliefs, I don't know much about a lot of them, but I enjoy learning. This is a great place for that, and I've learned a lot here.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:15 PM on May. 26, 2013