Lice advice

im at my wit's end. i found lice in my 6 year old's hair last night and my mom and i combed her hair for hours trying to get all the nits/eggs out (after a shampoo treatment). this morning there were still live bugs (teeny tiny ones that had to have just hatched) so i shampooed again (at the advice of a pharmacist) and then we combed her again for hours. she STILL has nits in her hair. im new at this lice thing... are there still going to be some no matter how tirelessly we comb it? it seems impossible to remove them all without just shaving her entire head. idk what else to do. shes itching & scratching again because they're probably fucking hatching. ive washed every soft thing in this house, treated my other daughters' hair. vacuumed, sprayed everything. i cant seem to get all the eggs out! i want to cry from the frustration

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:10 PM on May. 26, 2013 in Kids' Health

• This is why businesses that do nothing but remove lice from peoples hair(they are set up like salons) are becoming popular lol

I found a site with a ton of natural/alternative treatments. Might be worth a try, couldn't hurt.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:14 PM on May. 26, 2013

• tntmom1027

• she is with my mom tonight, and my mom said she heard that using a ton of conditioner makes them "let go"- so she tried it, said she didn't see anything when she combed her hair after. but idk, my mom's sight isn't that great and the eggs are soooo small. i really hope they are gone! this is miserable.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on May. 26, 2013

• This is why I am glad that I have a boy. I can shave his head without worry about looks(though he wouldn't love it lol he is obsessed with hair even at 5).

I have heard of other having a preventative treatments as well, could be worth looking up.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:19 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Mayonnaise. Put a TON of it on her hair, coating every single strand. Cover it with a plastic bag and leave it on for several hours. THEN wash it out and comb.

After that, use shampoo with tea tree oil. It'll keep them at bay
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:27 PM on May. 26, 2013

• im reading on that website that listerine helps kill them, and vinegar dissolves the nit glue. ill try anything at this point lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Been there, done that. I know how frustrating it is. My kids used to get them EVERY SINGLE YEAR. The last time they got it I did the whole treatment with Nix (the shampooing and combing out of nits) Then covered their hair (and I MEAN covered) with olive oil and put a shower cap on their head and sent them to bed with it on. Then vacuumed everything, washed what I could, put in garbage bag what I couldn't (sealed tight and put in closet for 2 wks) and sprayed the inside of the car with the spray. The next day, I threw all their bedding and jammies in the wash then rinsed their hair really well. EVERYDAY I checked for lice and nits. After 1 wk, I repeated the Nix treatment and the olive oil even though I hadn't seen a single bug or egg. Finally they were gone. Haven't had a problem since.

Good luck!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:31 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Does your daughter have long hair? Could she get a short, cute summer haircut? I had good luck with the Rid brand of treatment for lice when I got them from a laundromat, but I also washed bedding, jackets, hats, stuffed animals, everything. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:32 PM on May. 26, 2013

• its medium length, and i feel bad because i cut it so short last summer. it was barely touching her shoulders, and i havent touched it since. it took a whole year to get to the length it is now and i really want to let her grow it out a little more. but if i cant get rid of these nits, i may have to :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on May. 26, 2013

• We had this scare. I'm sorry just the checking daily and not finding anything sucks :(. My cousin swears by mayonnaise name brand. Like prissy said. She claims it was the only thing that worked. A nice tip cause I know you have girls make sure everyone has thier own hair ties, bands, clips, brushes so the other one doesn't get it or you. Have you been checked?

And drying everything on hot is very important, even though I was lucky I still acted like they had it for the 15 days lol
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:49 PM on May. 26, 2013