Hamstring muscle spasms

Lately I've developed massive muscle spasms in my left hamstring. They are brutally painful and can last up to 15 minutes but only in that muscle group.

I take a good multivitamin, potassium, magnesium and I drink enough water (not too much but enough). I've talked to a couple of doctors I work with who thought it might be an electrolyte issue so I'm trying to keep that in balance but nothing seems to be helping.

I'll make an appointment but has anyone had any experience with this at all? I hesitate to drink Gatorade. Is there anything more healthy that might keep my salts at an appropriate level?

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 10:30 PM on May. 26, 2013 in Health

• All food for thought.... it's like a puzzle and you have to find how the pieces fit together just right.

Other things to look at... have you been on your feet more then normal, new shoes, different heel height (making the ham's shorter or longer then your used to)...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:27 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I get leg cramps a lot. I drink Smart Water and take vitamins. I also eat a banana every day. They are painful. Hopefully there will be more suggestions in this thread.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:39 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Gatorade may not help. If it's cramping you may need to balance your sodium, potassium, calcium and iron.... it might be all out of whack. Muscles work on a sodium potassium pump system... using calcium to facilitate the moment of the pumps. Iron carries the O2 needed. Have you suddenly stopped eating meat by any chance??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:47 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I have no idea why this particular group. I've had several athletes why stopped eating meat mid season and had terrible hammy cramping issues solved with an iron supplement. Everyone usually goes straight to potassium with cramping but sometimes it's the calcium or iron that's too low, or just unbalanced. Have you had a bone density test recently, and do you know if your para-thyroids are working ok?? If not they will pull calcium out of your bones and cause an imbalance by putting too much calcium in your system.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:58 PM on May. 26, 2013

• *who, not why
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:59 PM on May. 26, 2013

• LOL Heels shorten your hams and tilt your pelvis forward placing pressure on the muscles in totally different way... could be it! might be a big piece of the puzzle... make sure you are stretching often. Here's a good stretch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT4mIxlAklo

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:48 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Thanks DJ. Someone mentioned coconut water as being very good with electrolytes so maybe?
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 10:47 PM on May. 26, 2013

• I was hoping you'd stop in Crafty lol.

I'm a vegetarian so I haven't recently stopped eating meat. I'm trying really hard to figure out what in my diet has changed and I just don't know.

Why would it just affect that particular muscle group?
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 10:49 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Parathyroid is fine and the only reason I know that is because I had a panel done a few months ago because of a wonky result. Iron though.....that's something I may need to think about. I say that because I used to eat a TON of hummus and have really cut back on that only because I haven't had time to make it.

I had a DEXA done a few years ago and there was a small indication of osteopenia. That may be something to follow up on, as well
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 11:04 PM on May. 26, 2013

• " different heel height (making the ham's shorter or longer then your used to)..."

.......yes :( I started wearing heels for the first time in my life about two months ago. Duh. I'm an idiot
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 11:28 PM on May. 26, 2013