My son's new friend

What would you do-

My son made a friend at school, and we organized a playdate that seemed to be doomed. They fought, and it ended up with the friend not wanting to speak to, forgive (my son didn't want to play the same game this one did, said it was a game for babies), be in the same photo with him. The friend seemed to be out of his element, unhappy to be outdoors at a park. I am wondering if it was just an off day, or if we should move on. Not very good with all of the drama...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on May. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Chalk it up to him having a hard time, for whatever reason. It sounds like he didn't respond well to your son's ridiculing of him. I can see the whole situation as being what it is (no fault) and just being hard for the kids, and unfortunate. But I definitely wouldn't see it as evidencing some kind of problem, issue or character flaw in the boy!

He was having a hard time.

Follow your son's lead, as far as going forward.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:58 AM on May. 27, 2013

• What does your son want to do?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:41 PM on May. 26, 2013

• At this age they are best friends one day and not speaking the next. If your son wants to try again and the other child and parent are ok with it as well I would try again. If he was uncomfortable at the park try a different venue for the next playdate.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:49 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Was his mom there, too? Did she say anything?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:50 PM on May. 26, 2013

• The mom sort of apologized and said he is usually not like this, but she acted like it was old hat. My son feels awkward. After apologizing and trying to get him to play for an hour, I think he is confused.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Why would you let it continue for an hour? If the kids weren't playing together and the other kid wouldn't acknowledge your sons apology then there was no reason to continue the playdate.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:26 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Are they out of school for the summer? Will they see each other anywhere else in the near future? If so, I'd wait and see how their interactions go a few times before deciding how to move forward. If they won't see each other till school starts again, I'd consider waiting till then before trying again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:42 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Good question kmath. I had my 3 kids, my niece, and the friend had his brother along. So all the other kids played together and had fun, just not this one boy (the person we had made a trip out to see). It was awkward, but... Guess I didn't know what else to do?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:55 PM on May. 26, 2013

• No, that makes sense. If you had all the other kids there then letting them continue playing and having fun was the right thing to do.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:12 AM on May. 27, 2013

• I would just go with what your son wanted to do.

Answer by louise2 at 7:32 AM on May. 27, 2013