I asked if anyone owned a sugar glider

Last year maybe. No one did but maybe someone new joined who has or had. My sugar gliders behavior has suddenly changed. When I would come to the cage he would start jumping until I would open it, then he would jump to me climb all over me and just hang out. Now when I come to the cage he is still excited to see me but does want to leave his cage. During the day he will come to me and sleep on me but at night he only wants me to stay near his cage and play with him in his cage. If I move to fast he does seem startled but he does not crab but he will run into his house then come pack out and nibble gently and start to crawl on me, I think he doesn't want to come out but I don't understand why? He use to love to bounce around on my bed and come back to me. So I'm worried I'm not sure what to do :(

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 11:43 PM on May. 26, 2013 in Pets

• I don't have a sugar glider but with any pet if they have a sudden change in behavior the I would make sure everything at the vet checks out ok.

If he is ok physically perhaps it is just that he is getting older??
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:00 AM on May. 27, 2013

• I have no answer but have you talked to the vet?
    I am wondering if he has hit puberty, perhaps?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:00 AM on May. 27, 2013

• Well he's considered an exotic pet would. There's a bonding process it takes a while for them to trust you or want to stay by you or come to you. He's still good and not afraid of me it's just he doesn't want to leave his cage. I'm not sure how much experience a regular vet would have with sugar gliders.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 12:22 AM on May. 27, 2013

• So you have never had him at a vet??

First thing I do when I get a pet, whether it is exotic or not is find a vet that would be appropriate. There are vets that handle exotic animals.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:30 AM on May. 27, 2013

• They really don't need vets. At least that's what the pocket pets say. They do not need shots or yearly visits. Unless they become ill, don't eat, or play. He still eating fine, plying, calling me, it's just he does not want to go out of his cage.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 12:34 AM on May. 27, 2013

• I've had him for over a year now.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 12:35 AM on May. 27, 2013

• I didn't mean that you would have to take him for shots or anything but to have a relationship established with a vet incase you needed it. From what I know about any pet especially more exotic harder to read pets any change in behavior that is more sudden should be addressed with a vet.

Is anything else different?? Lights are bright etc?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:59 AM on May. 27, 2013

• do you spend less time with him now than before maybe?

*I have no idea, I don't have one, but we did seriously consider getting a couple of them a few years ago
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:43 AM on May. 27, 2013

• Best thing for you to do. I call around to all the vet in your area and find out if they are experanced in taking care of one medicaly. Do you have a Zoo close. They might be able to help you. For a price.

Answer by louise2 at 7:45 AM on May. 27, 2013

• Yes I live right in between Chicago and milwaulkee so I have at least four zoos. I will deffinatly look for a vet. I have been busy the past two weeks maybe that's why.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 9:53 AM on May. 27, 2013