"We all sin"

This was the answer someone gave to the question of why they repeatedly do something that they know is a sin, while following a religion that has such a concept of "sin". Is that all it takes - since everyone does it, you don't have to try? It would seem to me that intentionally doing something you've pledged, by joining a religion, not to do, is either not following that religion or volunteering for the consequences that go with it (going to Hell, returning to a painful life, whatever)

Is saying "we all sin" a free pass to sin (or to partake in whatever term is used for your belief system)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:17 AM on May. 27, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol No your supposed to try to avoid sin. While not all sin is completely avoidable and some is forgivable the goal is supposed to be not sinning.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:19 AM on May. 27, 2013

• See, my faith has a much more hardline on that. There are few things that are in the same category that would translate to "sin" in Christian terms, but the consequences range from public shaming to outright shunning that lasts into the afterlife. Lying in particular, breaking your word, is the worst offense you can commit. It's not simply "try not to" but more "don't do it or you're screwed". Perhaps that's why I'm so amazed by how easily some people do it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:22 AM on May. 27, 2013

• I know a few people who use the excuse that they ask for forgiveness after they fuck up to excuse whatever "sin" they have committed. Since there are no consequences if you ask for forgiveness then you can sin all you want. It is so totally ass backwards to me and I don't get it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:25 AM on May. 27, 2013

• In the Catholic Church, sins come in two basic types: mortal sins that imperil your soul and venial sins, which are less serious breaches of God’s law. The Church believes that if you commit a mortal sin, you forfeit heaven and opt for hell by your own free will and actions.

Three conditions are necessary for mortal sin to exist:

Grave Matter: The act itself is intrinsically evil and immoral.
    Full Knowledge:
    Deliberate Consent:

A mortal sin is the complete turning away from God and embracing something else in place. It’s deadly to the life of grace, because it insults the honor of God and injures the soul of the sinner. Mortal sin is like a malignant tumor or a critical injury that’s lethal to the spiritual life.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:26 AM on May. 27, 2013

• Venial sins are any sins that meet one or two of the conditions needed for a mortal sin but do not fulfill all three at the same time, or they’re minor violations of the moral law, such as giving an obscene gesture to another driver while in traffic.

Venial sin only weakens the soul with sickness but doesn’t kill the grace within. Venial sins aren’t deadly to the life of grace, but like minor infections in the body, if casually ignored and left untended, may deteriorate into a more serious condition. For example, someone who tells so-called white lies commits venial sin, but if he does it long enough, it’s much easier for him to be tempted to tell a big lie later on that would in fact be a mortal sin, such as cheating on a test or on his income tax return
    tntmom1027

• Sorry for the "Bible length" posts but it was the only way to fully explain what I believe. What faith do you practice NP?? If you don't mind sharing.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:27 AM on May. 27, 2013

• Free pass, Not really just a way to avoid accountability for your actions.

For example pre marital sex or adultery is a sin and you should be able to control yourself no? So if you "can't" or don't want to you can not say everyone sins so i can too. It reminds me of the all famous quotes mothers say, is so and so jumped of a bridge would you follow them? Why would you want to jump of that bridge if you knew the result would be death. The thrill of the fall does not out way the death at the end of the fall.

I understand no ones perfect but to not own your short comings and try to do better or refrain from whatever sin you struggle with shows your lack of desire to follow your tenets. IMO
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:32 AM on May. 27, 2013

• Definitely not a free pass. We are not perfect, but the point is that we are supposed to try to grow and live up to the standard our faith holds us to.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:39 AM on May. 27, 2013

• I was taught that the original meaning of the word "sin" is "something that separates a person from God." I was taught that I, like every human being, have the potential at any moment for both good and evil, and that as hard as I may try, evil at times wins out in what I do, say, and think. But I still try to be as free of things that separate me from God as possible. If I keep doing something that has a tendency to separate me from God, and then apologize and do it again, I'm still separated from God, or in a state of sin. Asking for forgiveness means nothing if I don't change the action that has led to my separation from God. I've made some big mistakes in my life, and asked forgiveness from God and from people I have harmed. I am no longer separated from God because of those past mistakes, but I would be once again in a state of sin if I repeated them, and I still face the consequences from some of those bad choices.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:44 AM on May. 27, 2013

• To add, for Christians especially, the term "repent' originated meaning something along the lines of "go a different way." It symbolized the direct choice NOT to keep doing the things that we do that are wrong. So when we "repent" of something we're supposed to NOT do it anymore, to go another way. It shows that orthopraxy really matters more than orthodoxy, IMO. It's not about what you say or what you'll give lip service to, it's about what you actually DO and the way you actually allow your faith to change you for the better.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:44 AM on May. 27, 2013