Repetitive questions, question?

My daughter asks repetitive questions, and usually ones that she knows the answers to such as, What's that? and Point to a fan or something. I tell her it's a fan and then she again asks, "What's that?" So I started asking her back, Why don't you tell me what it is? she says "It's a fan!" and I say Good job and she smiles and laughs. Not an issue at home, but when we are in public she will ask a random person, "What's your name?" So people ignore her, others tell her their names, then she gets excited and will ask them again "What's your name?" No one has really ever been rude about it, a few people have acted annoyed but I just tell her, honey they are busy shopping let's go look at some toys or I redirect her in some other way.
My question is, if you were in a store and a strange child acted this way to you, would you get annoyed by it? I feel like I'm not doing my job as a parent by letting her bug people but not sure how to change the behavior. When she keeps asking them over and over again I explain that she has autism, they just smile and say ok yeah I wondered that. I just feel that telling people she has autism is a cop out for bad parenting on my part.

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 10:33 AM on May. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, it's not a cop-out. Children ask repetitive questions ANYWAY. Don't worry about it.

And remember, the Court of Public Opinion has no jurisdiction. Doesn't matter what strangers think of you.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:15 AM on May. 27, 2013

• Not at all. The only time children bugged me in public is when I worked at the beauty supply store and they played with the nail polish over the ceramic tile floors.... that was never pretty...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:02 AM on May. 27, 2013

• She sounds like she likes the game. Personally, it wouldn't bother me in the least if she approached me in public. At least she's being friendly. I'd take a pleasant questioning child over the ear-piercing temper tantrums any day! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:22 AM on May. 27, 2013

• It isn't a cop out and you aren't a bad parent. Most people get that kids are going to talk to them and they are fine with it. The rest are assholes.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:30 AM on May. 27, 2013

• It would really depend on my mood of the day. If I was in a decent to good mood it wouldn't bother me at all. If I was in any kind of bad mood I would probably get at little annoyed. However, if I was getting annoyed, and you mentioned that she has autism I would try to curb my annoyance. My son is on the spectrum with the now defunct diagnosis of Asperger's.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:33 PM on May. 27, 2013

• If your dd approached me and asked me my name over and over, I'd tell her then I'd ask her her name, and other simple questions thinking she wanted a conversation. Nothing wrong with that!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:36 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I love kids, so a child talking to me doesn't annoy me at all. I realize there are some people who may not be like that. I wouldn't feel obligated to explain in any way bc I think it is normal behavior for a lot of children depending on their personalities. It sounds like you are doing everything right accept the feeling guilty in any way or obligated. Your child has a unique personality to be celebrated. If others seem annoyed, redirect but it is their problem if they don't like kids, not your fault. <3
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:27 PM on May. 27, 2013

• No, I would not be annoyed by this. You are doing the right thing.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:51 AM on May. 27, 2013

• no, it wouldn't bother me

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:23 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Your child wouldn't annoy me with her questions. I've had to get used to mine, who doesn't have autism, going up and asking people what they have in their shopping bags and such. Kids are precocious. If I was in a hurry, I'd just tell your kid nicely that I was busy and had to go. Anyone who can't extend that kind of courtesy isn't worth a damn anyway. It does get kind of unnerving, though, I understand. Wait till your spectrum kid is a teenager, still going up to people and trying to get high fives at Wal-Mart--then you'll get really good at telling the decent people from the assholes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:18 PM on May. 27, 2013