My son is not eating?

he is getting over the flu from last week and he really thinks it is kool to stick his fingers in his mouth and throw up he is 14 months old by the way. I can only get him to eat baby food. thank GOD I have a 4 month old and have been stocking up. but how many calories should he be eating because every time i eat he wants to eat but if i give hime it he will spit it out. He usually eats regualr food no baby food.

jyssi1557

Asked by jyssi1557 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is keeping down a little bit of food, I am sure he is OK. If he doesn't return to normal eating habits soon...I would call a nurse and ask them.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 5:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Maybe you could give him some unsweetened apple sauce instead after he finished his regular food for a reward! My little boy has issues about eating too! I am treating his eczema too so I think maybe it has to do with the gut. Yours on the other hand sounds strictly about the cool foods that the baby is getting. You could try simular foods that are regular like mashed sweet potatoes yogurt is real good if you pick one that is light. Then there are toppings that are great to incourage him like margarine spreads with omega 3's in them to put on veggies and whole grain bread. I hope this has helped. He probably likes the cool containers. Maybe you could serve his food in some cool containers too!
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 5:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• give him some time and keep him hydrated, other than that you can try pedilite, him eating baby food is a good start, dont worry mom he wont starve...He will eat when he feels like himself again.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• As far as the thinking it is cool to throw up, try not to show any reaction. He's only as cool as the reaction he receives. As far as his eating habits, it will pass and go back to normal just give him and his tummy time. My son got sick once and would only breast feed and kept on refusing food except for yogurt and cheerios for a week and it took two weeks for him to start broadening his horizons again. It seems like with little ones that we take two steps forward with them and they take three steps back. Right when we feel like things are progressively getting easier they get sick and everything changes. Just relax and know that he'll go back to his eating habits in another week. Give him what ever he will eat at this point and as the days go on try adding in his usual dietaries. Also, when kids get sick they'll still usually eat toast, yogurt, bananas, sometimes cheese. If you can get him to eat those things then he'll be
    Anonymous

• cont. ok nutritionally. If he isn't eating a little more normal by two weeks then you will need to consult with your pediatrician. Just try not to be frustrated, it's ok. :)
    Anonymous

• : midnightmoma
    give him some time and keep him hydrated, other than that you can try pedilite, him eating baby food is a good start, dont worry mom he wont starve...He will eat when he feels like himself again.

My daughter did the same thing. When i went to talk to my dietion (sp) i asked her about my daughter she said dont worry about it she will start eating normal again when she feels better. Just keep giving him pedialit, juice popsickle suckers etc... whatever he will take. I would talk to a doctor about though about him sticking his finger down his throat. My daughter just kinda stop after i told her no ALOT. But if he doesnt stop after alittle while i would talk to his doctor
    hstib_19

Answer by hstib_19 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2009