If the bible is the infallible word of a god

how does one explain all the original versions that existed before a formalized version was created? Originally, every church in every kingdom or village had its own version of the bible, cobbled together from whatever books the local clergy could collect or author. Some passed by word of mouth, others were created in whole cloth by the clergy to explain a concept. It was common for a bible in one nation to have zero books in common with a bible in another. Were each of these conflicting books the "infallable word of a god?"

This isn't even accounting for assorted Judaic teachings that were never considered a part of the book, but only supplemental, but only those books that were presented as a bible. There were 800 years of random Jewish texts before any Rabbinical study attempted to consolidate the Torah, and once they started, it took 700 years to complete.

AFTER that, you can begin to address the new testament, and the 200 year gap between the alleged life of Christ and the Septuagint. Was that the infallable one? Was it the divergent versions between that and the assembly of the Douay-Rheims in the sixteenth century that were the infallable bits? How about the non-Catholic bible that leaves out even more books than were edited out in 1562? Is the one that removes books that were considered canonical for 1600 years the infallable one? How about the modern New Testaments that don't even include the OT - are those the infallable ones, the ones that skip Genesis completely?

If the bible is the infallible word of god, and over 500 translations, each of which phrase things differently, exist. How do you know the version and translation you are reading is the infallible one?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:15 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• popcorn

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:32 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Honestly, this is a question I've grappled with for years.

But, I think the answer is that those who believe in the whole infallibility thing somehow convince themselves that God meant for everything to be disjointed and multi-authored.

Like some sort of religious mystery or something
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:35 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Exactly, while I may be religious and believe in some religous teachings I do not believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God. It was written by men, many men.. and then stitched together by a group/committee of men. I do not see it as a literal text at all. Add to that the fact that we do not even fully understand the languages it was originally written in.

Best course I ever took was the Historical study of the Old Testement. Brilliant course.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:36 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Yup

lol
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:38 PM on May. 27, 2013

• "Best course I ever took was the Historical study of the Old Testement. Brilliant course."

Sounds like it would be a great experience tntmom :)
    bandgeek521

• The Old Testamet is the history of the Jewish nation, gathered from many sources of oral tradition. It tells about God, or the way God was perceived by different people at different times. The New Testament was written down by the people who walked with Jesus, after decades of being passed around orally. Personally, I believe the Bible is inspired by God, but every word of it has not been uttered from His mouth. In my personal opinion, God is bigger than that. He doesn't need to dictate a manuscript to people like a lawyer telling his secretaries what to type. We have been given intelligence, perception, conscience, and the ability to determine what we believe and why.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I don't believe it is the infallible Word of God. Literalism gets people into trouble.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 PM on May. 27, 2013

• But, I think the answer is that those who believe in the whole infallibility thing somehow convince themselves that God meant for everything to be disjointed and multi-authored.

I think you got that right, Priss.  Because if the bible was clear and concise, with no errors or contradictions, christians couldn't "tweak" the verses to mean what THEY want them to mean.  And there wouldn't be a zillion different branches of "christian" religion.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:01 PM on May. 27, 2013

• i asked this a lot when i was searching for what i really believed. the answer i always got was "God guided the hand of the men involved with the Bible and made them put it together the way He wanted it." half the time this came down specifically to the King James Bible, even tho there are so many flaws in its design it takes a LOT of faith to blindly follow it as literal fact.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:54 PM on May. 27, 2013

• This is an issue I have had with the Bible for as long as I can remember. Growing up in the Bible Belt, questioning the Bible was strongly discouraged so I never got any answers other than "you just need to pray about it".

I have a LOOOOOONG rant about this and there is just not enough characters here to put it all in. Basically, I continue to point out that man is fallible and man is the one who wrote and then compiled the Bible so therefore, the Bible IS fallible. Not even mentioning the multitude of translations with differences and changes.

Main response ... "it's inspired by God and that makes it infallible." *eye roll*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:00 PM on May. 28, 2013