What changed this year?

Every year there are Memorial Day sales, cookouts, bar crawls and pool parties. Why is it that this year people are offended, as if they haven’t been happening for as long as the holiday has existed? The point being that those cookouts and gatherings could occur because families had an opportunity to gather when normally, they wouldn’t have time. Veterans could meet up to celebrate and commiserate. Sales weren’t just a gimmick, but part of a sense of community, lower prices because people were there, not to get people out in the first place. Why do people want to erase that part, the celebrating life and sacrifice, only to focus on the death?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:02 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think those complaints are new to this year; I've been hearing them for a while. I wonder if people are more sensitive about it because of Iraq and Afghanistan?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I wonder if people are more sensitive about it because of Iraq and Afghanistan?

I wonder if it's people who are more removed than they'd be comfortable admitting. In other words, how many of them would dare go to their local VFW tonight and suggest to the veterans gathered at the bar that they aren't being "respectful" enough.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:13 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I don't know. I haven't seen any offended individuals. We aren't doing much today, but the weather is weird and DH had to work part of the day. I've already discussed the significance of today with the kids. I think we are going to have hibachi somewhere for an early dinner.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:13 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I haven't seen any offended individuals.

I've seen a lot of "how dare people say HAPPY memorial day" and a ton of reposting of this very condescending demotivational showing a woman crying at a military grave with a caption about "in case you thought it was national bbq day". In my head, I contrast that to how my Dad usually spent Memorial Day - working at ceremonies and the parade, helping with fundraisers, then helping with a HUGE bbq at the VFW along with his wife and the other members, open to the public, with lots of little kids running around having fun, and some of the older vets who only come out once or twice a year.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:20 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I've wondered that, and talked about it with a friend of mine who is in her eighties, whose husbandwas a veteran of WWII in the Pacific. She says the mood right now reminds her of the way it was back in the forties, when if you acted overly happy or celebratory about anything, you were bordering on unpatriotic.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:23 PM on May. 27, 2013

• So, how are we supposed to celebrate or honor this day? At cemeteries? Grieving? I don't understand. I didn't realize the holiday came with rules of how to celebrate.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Our family celebrates all Holidays pertaining to our men and women in uniform.
    Memorial Day, Veterans Day, 4th of July!
    For those who complain about the celebration of our freedoms haven't a clue how our freedoms were founded!
    We celebrate those that passed while serving our Country by remembering them. Bbq's and gatherings with neighbors are part of that.

Are we supposed to forget? (Hypothetical question)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 3:39 PM on May. 27, 2013

• ^^^ Yeah, what PMS said....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:31 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Not a thing. Merchants sell their product anyway they can. Holidays put people in a good mood (usually) and if you can get them in your store in a good mood, they are more receptive to buying something. If you offer a discount, even more so. It is business psych at its best.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:07 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Merchants sell their product anyway they can. Holidays put people in a good mood (usually) and if you can get them in your store in a good mood, they are more receptive to buying something. If you offer a discount, even more so. It is business psych at its best.

Not really sure what that had to do with the question, but ok
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:28 PM on May. 27, 2013