Another Stimulus question.

I see alot of people asking questions regarding the stimulus. I also see alot of people bashing it, and saying how horrible it is, but no one ever suggests any other solutions. So, do any of you have a better idea? Instead of being negative about EVERYTHING, why don't we think of ways that we could make things better?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I love the idea of it!
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 5:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Tax cuts. Tax holidays. A stimulus pkg that did NOT have all the pork. I don't have a problem with a pkg to stimulate the economy but even Obama said it wasn't perfect. So MAKE it perfect. Don't allow back alley deals and no time for people to read it!

I don't think it was too much to ask the people who voted yes to READ the bill first!?  That's what I want. I want them to READ bills before the sign away that kind of money!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• OH and I did NOT agree with the first pkg either! So please don't give the standard "bush did it too" responses.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think we should do nothing. The economy goes in cycles. It will come back around again. The economy has always done this. I think trying to force a solution is only going to make things worse. Look at how the market reacts to all of the news, nothing that has been done since last summer with Bush and nothing that Obama has done has had a positive affect.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Across the board 5 percent tax cuts for all. A 5000 child tax credit for those who actually pay in 5000k or more a year. The 15000 tax credit for purchasing homes for any home buyer not just first timers. No one should get more than they paid in taxes in with any of the tax credits. Homes would be purchased by the middle class. Many would have extra money in their pocket and by this holiday season would spend it. It was the Republicans idea so it was all cut. Republicans wanted those who pay in taxes and don't get it all back and then some to have some relief Democrats felt differently.

Anonymous

• Tax cuts. No pork of any kind. Each state should have gotten 1.5 billion dollars for job creation in infrastructure only. Each state should have gotten 1.5 billion dollars for the medicaid, food stamps programs. Head start should have gotten 50 million dollars to be divided equally among all 50 states. And our veterans health care system should have gotten 50 million dollars to be equally divided among the 50 states. Also, unemployment should have gotten 1 million dollars per state. And, last but not least, the education system should have gotten 1 million per state for upgrades and such. This would have saved billions of dollars, there is no pork and jobs would start to come back. JMO
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Totally agree with Magpie...unfortunately, the economy is an ever-swinging pendulum. We were on a huge upswing, and now we're seeing the flipside. It was bound to come down at some point, and the natural thing to do is let it come down and to work itself out.

Furthermore, I think less people would have a problem with the so-called "stimulus" package if it weren't chock full of pork and pet projects.

Obama sold this thing based on a promise of "no sweetheart deals" and "absolutely no pork" (his exact words.) What a lie that turned out to be; there's a tremendous amount of both these things and people have ever right to bash it and be angry about it.
    Anonymous

• I would suggest the alternate tax cut package that the democrat-led congress dismissed out of hand and wouldn't even debate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i'm not a fan of the recovery act because i do think it includes a lot of things that are not relevent regarding our current situation.
    HOWEVER, i don't get this line about people not being able to read it. moms here have been posting dollar amounts for this and that organization for weeks.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I suggest that the people who actually think they are getting a check go read a newspaper. This stimulus bill is a 40 year wish list for democrats living and dead. We're all gonna wake up in 8 years trying to figure out how the government got so big. So, please read something instead of relying on CafeMom for your "congressional" news.
    JZamora13

Answer by JZamora13 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009