How to teach my child to talk?

My son is 18 months old. But he talks very less. I mean he makes all sort of sounds like at 5 months he started saying baba-baba then by the time he was one , he was able to speak mamma, papa ,tata ,Hi , dada, nana. My concern is that though he has all these words in his dictionary still he never addresses me as mamma or his dad as papa. I read somewhere that at this stage a child is able to speak atleast 18-20 words.

At times it seems that he is not much interested in talking. Also these days he screams a lot . Whatever thing he wants , instead of asking me to give (which I already taught him how to do) he starts screaming. Also if I take a second also extra he starts screaming with higher volume. What should I do?

Should I see any speech therapist? Else wise my child is healthy and active. At times while watching TV if his favourite character (Super Why) dances he also starts dances. If we give him phone, he enacts the same way as if he is talking to somebody on phone.

Several people say boys speak late. Is it true?

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 3:57 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES to speech therapy
    Has he had his hearing checked?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:04 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Have you brought this up to his Pediatrician?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:13 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I would ask his ped for more info. Could be normal or could be something small that will be unnoticeable in short time with early intervention. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:17 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Start with your doc... Possibly an ENT... Eval hearing, get a speech eval... Just to rule out anything... May be nothing but better safe the. Sorry!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:20 PM on May. 27, 2013

• *then sorry... Stupid phone keyboard
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:21 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Remember every child is different. Granddaughter did not say a word until she turned 3.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:54 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Boys do not necessarily speak less, that is a fallacy.
    I suggest you take him to a doctor that specializes in ears, nose, and throat.
    A child learns to talk by hearing others talk and seeing what they are talking about. Motivation. If he points and gets what he wants he has no motivation to say, for example, milk. Also if you anticipate what he wants he has no need to address the need.
    If you say, Jonny would you like some milk and he nods, you need to say with him looking at you Milk. You may hve to say it first and tell him, say milk as well. You and he will be frustrated but it works.
    If the answer is Yes have him say, yes momma.
    Play games. Where is daddy? or who is this?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:04 PM on May. 27, 2013

• It wouldn't hurt to have your son's hearing checked. But it is true that some kids talk later than others, especially if someone is anticipating their needs. My daughter talked very early, and I believe part of the reason why is that since I'm blind, she figured out really quick that pointing and grunting or screaming didn't get her what she wanted. Also, talk to him a lot, even if he doesn't seem to understand. Tell him what you are doing, what you are looking at, where you are going, what you are thinking. Play the radio so he can hear the music and voices. Wee Sing makes some great CD's of nursery rhymes that I played every day.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:24 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Google early intervention and your area. They will do a free developmental evaluation and let you know exactly where your child is/should be. If he is behind they will offer free or very low cost therapy. Pediatrician a are notorious for following the "wait and see" approach which is not good. Early intervention is crucial!

Answer by missanc at 5:43 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Definitely get in touch with Early Intervention - the sooner you get started the sooner he'll be making progress!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:24 AM on May. 28, 2013