2 week old baby and unable to pump any milk still?

This is my 2nd child. My first child is almost 6 and I was able to pump at least 8 ounces every time I pumped. Now, most of the time I can't get anything out. The most I've gotten was 1/2 ounce. That only happened twice. I have a brand new Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump. My breast size has gone up 3 sizes since my first child. I also feel like the suction isn't strong on the pump so I don't know if it has to do with my breast size or not. I went to the hospital to speak with the lactation consultant and she said I could try a bigger size breast shield so I bought the next two sizes up.  Tried pumping today again and sitll nothing.  Most people complain of the pain when pumping, well I feel nothing.  I even bought fennugreek and have been taking two pills three times a day.  Any suggestions?  Do I need to wait longer?  My baby is getting plenty of milk as she is back at birth weight and she is gulping when drinking!  I only have a few weeks at home and want to make sure I have enough milk for when I go back to work.

bshields07

Asked by bshields07 at 4:14 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why do you need to pump?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:24 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Actually, half an ounce to two ounces from both breasts altogether is normal output. Eight ounces is a sign of oversupply and can be a very bad thing.

There are moms who can nurse twins and not get ONE drop from even the best pump, and for some women it varies baby to baby. If you don't have to pump for leaving baby, spare yourself the stress for now.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:24 PM on May. 27, 2013

• When I went back to work with my first I was never able to pump at work and after a month I didn't have enough milk supply and my daughter had to drink formula during the day and then I would breastfeed at night. I want to have a supply to last for the daytime this time around.
    bshields07

Comment by bshields07 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I didn't respond well to a pump with my first child and the second time around I responded well, but DD was good about taking the breast so that's just what we did. I didn't have to go back to work though, so I didn't have to deal with the pumping. Isn't it a law that work places have to allow you to pump? If it's only been a couple of weeks, then maybe get to a normal routine and then try again. Or try a manual pump. I have a friend that couldn't get hardly anything from an electric pump but she did well with a manual pump.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:36 PM on May. 27, 2013

• OK. Few things to know about pumping for work.

1. While you're home pump once a day, in the morning, baby on one side ump on the other. It gets your best output and this will be a permanent routine, seven days a week. Skip brushing your teeth before skipping this. **grin**

2. At work, one pump session for every three hours away. If your employer has more than 50 on the company payroll they are legally required to accommodate you. IF they have less, accommodation is still the smart thing to do. You need 15 minutes start to finish; the idea is to get the time in. The more you do, the more you'll be able to pump.

3. Working mom's prescription: 3000 mg fenugreek every day ,washed down with three cups Mothers Milk Tea. Both at the health food store.

4. Baby gets 1 - 1.25 ounces per every hour of separation, in servings no larger than three ounces. This is supply preservation...

(to be continued)

Answer by gdiamante at 5:14 PM on May. 27, 2013

• (continued)

The idea is that baby feasts at the breast, and while you're gone gets enough to get by. Trust me, this won't harm her at all. A lot of babies take NOTHING while mom is gone and tank up when mom is home. Best case scenario, yours will do this too!

Check all the pump parts.Even new out of the box there's a possibility the pump is faulty. If something seems broken or cracked, call the company for a replacement.

Google Marmet Technique for info on hand expression. You may need to start with that.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:16 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I tried both fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea with limited results. I had better luck with More Milk Plus, which is a supplement that has other plant extracts in addition to fenugreek. Goat's rue is one, I cann't recall all of them. Check out www.motherlove.com. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:19 PM on May. 27, 2013

• More Milk Plus is a very good one.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:46 PM on May. 27, 2013

• It happened to me to it is time to bottle feed
    lovelady32_7

Answer by lovelady32_7 at 5:51 PM on May. 27, 2013

• "It happened to me to it is time to bottle feed"

Not necessarily. There are women who can nurse twins with not one drop of formula... yet not pump one single drop with even the best hospital grade pump on earth. All pump output tells you is how you respond to a pump. Nothing more than that.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on May. 27, 2013