My boyfriend shows more affection for the dog than for me, help...

I had a puppy for a few months when I first met my boyfriend 2 years ago. At that time, the dog was precariously in my home and I was considering finding another home for him since I have a lot of responsibilities with two kids and full time work already. My bf became immediately attached to the dog and forbade me to get rid of him. Well, we have lived in different cities for the last 2 years and I've housed the animal and done all the necessary work involved in having the animal. He started growling at my kids recently (as he has become a dominant adult) and I've completely HAD IT with him. My bf treats the dog better than me and my kids, constantly petting him and talking baby-talk to him. Often while I do chores or letting the kids play by themselves. We have no immediate prospects to move in together (but maybe in a year or so when our jobs allow) and I just want to get rid of the dog. He says it's "his puppy". What to do?

BardoE

Asked by BardoE at 4:36 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Relationships

• Tell him he has 2 weeks to come get it,or it's being re-homed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:37 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Give the puppy to him. Just remember, if you two do decide to move in together, the puppy is yours again.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:53 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Tell him he can either take it or it is going to someone else. You shouldn't have to keep the dog just because HE wants you to.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:56 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Obviously you need counseling and/or a new boyfriend
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:56 PM on May. 27, 2013

• wow

it is your home, your dog, and HIS rules

tell him the dog is going to be adopted out, and if he wants to take the dog to his home...great
    then IF things get better with a more equal relationship between you and the boyfriend...do not move in together until the dog has passed away
    Anonymous

• Give the dog to him or it goes to someone else. Easy peasy. You don't have to keep the animal just because he tells you to. Beyond that, you should decide if you really want to be in a relationship with a boyfriend who gushes over the dog while you do chores and the kids play by themselves. The dog is a symptom of a much bigger problem.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:10 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Plus...if you're going to allow him to dictate to you now, wait until you move in together or get married!
    Sell the dog and he can kiss your ass!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:18 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Give the dog to the boyfriend, along with a Boyfriend Pink Slip with the words, "You're Fired!"

Answer by gdiamante at 5:27 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Why does the dog live with you and not the boyfriend?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:40 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I wouldn't have tolerated this for longer than about 17 seconds. Re-home the dog and keep your boyfriend OUT of your home. Preferably forever.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:43 PM on May. 27, 2013