Wondering about birds ...

I put two feeders up in my yard this year, and we also have a fountain. My daughter has gotten really fascinated by watching the birds. She can identify robins, red-winged blackbirds, crows, and pigeons. But there are two kinds of birds she wants to know the names of. I realize this might be difficult since I don't have pictures, but any guesses would be appreciated.

One bird is brown, with a bright orange beak and a raucous call. It's maybe around the size of a robin.

The other is about the size of a sparrow, and kind of looks like one, except it as red on its head and chest like a robin.

We live in Colorado, if that makes a difference.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:19 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I don't know much about birds, but my MIL can identify tons of them. When she can't, she uses an Audubon Bird Book - maybe a birthday or Christmas gift idea???

Answer by missanc at 8:45 PM on May. 27, 2013

• 2nd one might be a purple finch

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:22 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Could the orange beaked bird be a female cardinal? I know the female is brown and has a bright beak, but don't know about the sound of their call.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:17 PM on May. 27, 2013