Sometimes I wish we really could call up the CM Posse ...

Mostly posting this as a vent, because I was so appalled at the injustice and I had to tell someone!

Seizure alert dog business shut down by A-G.

By Joanne Beck jbeck@batavianews.com
| Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:20 am

The owner of a seizure alert dog business, who had once promised a service dog to a Batavia resident, has been shut down for his "deceptive business practices," according to a press release from the attorney general's office.
Jon C. Sabin, who operated Seizure Alert Dogs for Life in St. Lawrence County, has been banned from advertising or selling service dogs in the future, the release states. Attorney General Eric Schneiderman opted to pursue the ban after an investigation led to cases of Sabin misleading consumers in New York, California, Washington State, Kansas Colorado, Texas, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Those consumers believed that Sabin was screening and training dogs to assist their disabled children and family members in medical emergencies.
In the summer of 2011, Jenn Boyki-Huston was one of them. She thought that Sabin was going to alleviate her fears by providing a service dog capable of helping her young epileptic daughter. As it turned out, she never got the dog.
"I think he's a horrible person," Boyki-Huston said Friday. "When I read about it I jumped for joy. Something finally has happened to him. I just hope everyone got their money back."
At the time, Boyki-Huston had started to raise the necessary $2,500 for a trust account when she learned that Sabin would not be giving her a dog after all. He charged about $20,000 per dog, claiming that they were well trained to not only provide support for disabled children but to even sense when a child was about to have a seizure.
That seemed like a Godsend for Boyki-Huston, whose daughter had suffered seizures about every three weeks, her mom had said. There was also going to be a one- to two-week training period for Sabin to work with the family and the service dog. The one that Sabin had selected was smart enough to carry his own cell phone and dial 911 when necessary, he said.
"There was absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this man took any steps to select or train these dogs as he represented," Schneiderman said. "I will not tolerate scams which take advantage of the disadvantaged and that are abusive to animals. This man placed children and dogs at risk through his reckless practices and unfounded representations."
St. Lawrence County State Supreme Court Justice David Demarest, in a May 21 decision, issued permanent injunctions forever prohibiting Sabin and Seizure Alert Dogs for Life, Inc., from advertising or selling "service dogs" alleged to be trained to respond to or assist persons suffering with epilepsy or other medical conditions. Sabin began selling "service dogs" in 2009.
In his decision, the judge highlighted false claims from Sabin and some of Sabin's illegal business practices: "... the Petition is supported by numerous affidavits of individuals who state that the dogs are not properly trained and lack general obedience skills and temperament to function as a service dog.
"It should be noted that these sworn statements are from customers, witnesses and dog trainers alike. In these numerous witness statements, customers allege Sabin delivered an insufficiently-trained dog, drank alcohol to excess and failed to adequately train the family upon delivery.
"When questioned, he was verbally abusive, swore, became hostile, acted in a threatening manner and abused the service animals by punching, hitting and kicking the dogs. Consumer scams come in all shapes and forms and the vulnerable and desperate are often the targets because they desperately want to believe that relief is at hand. My office is here to protect consumers and we will pursue those who do not play by the rules."
The court found that Sabin produced no evidence in admissible form to challenge the Attorney General's allegations relating to proper dog selection and training.
Boyki-Huston's mission to help her daughter turned into a legal battle, both parties had said at the time. Sabin had initially said that Boyki-Huston would get a trained German shepherd for her daughter and family. But then plans went awry, he said, after he learned some things about the family that made him change his mind.
In turn, Boyki-Huston claimed that Sabin was a "fraud" and that she was qualified to get a service dog. Although she was not one of the witnesses, she feels vindicated by the ban and happy to have moved onto another dog organization. Noelle's Dogs Four Hope gave her a golden retriever, Jack, who has been working out nicely, she said. It seems to have paid off for her daughter Zaylie.
"She's doing great," her mom said.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:12 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• " it bugs me that you always make yourself part of that group."

She is part of the group

Ballad, I'm glad the girl got a dog from someone else, and I'm glad he's being punished. What an awful thing to do - both to the dogs and to the people he scammed :(
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:23 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I'm glad he's being punished, that's awful!
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 8:05 PM on May. 27, 2013

• you weren't even here when the original cm posse was the in joke. it bugs me that you always make yourself part of that group. Answer by Anonymous

LMAO.   And WHO is in charge of deciding who is part of 'the group'?  WTF?  How childish.  She's been around here for a while.  She is just as much a part of Answers as the anonymous box.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:33 PM on May. 27, 2013

• you weren't even here when the original cm posse was the in joke. it bugs me that you always make yourself part of that group.

Why do you copy and post these huge ass articles! Can't you ever just ask a normal question besides what's for dinner?

^^^ LMFAO at these two posts!!! If only you'd had the balls to use your screen names!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:13 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Sounds to me Ballad, he's already busted! It is unfortunate what some of these families have had to endure before the truth came out.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:39 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Looks like someone is having a bad day!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:40 PM on May. 27, 2013

• I absolutely hate scammers that prey on anyone, much less those that are in dire need.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:35 PM on May. 27, 2013

• thats pretty messed up! glad they've stopped him.

anon really thinks she's hot stuff huh? so cool & important and part of "the group" that she cant even let anyone know who she is. she's so damn popular!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:13 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Shut up anon. You do not get to decide what questions are asked or how
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:55 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Ballad, crafty wasn't commenting towards you or the post. She was quoting the anon posts and then laughing at what a chickenshit anon is. Not sure if you caught that since she didn't actually put it in quotes for your computer to read.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:34 PM on May. 27, 2013